Betta imbellis

1bennet1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I can remember reading that two male betta imbellis can be housed together in the same tank....?? Is this true, I cant believe they can be so different, so I just wanted to check

No, they cannot be housed togehter. Betta Imbellis is just as agressive as betta splendens. Some people report that they house male betta's together but these are exeptions.

Right I thought that that info would probably be wrong...but are they more peaceful.....do you tihnk that a male could be housed with some females?

kaz petts said:
What is a betta Imbellis?
in a book on fish i have it says the betta imbellis is th4 peaceful betta that can go with other males and it shows a picture with a group of males.

Male betta imbellis can be housed with several females (like the betta splendens) but the tank has to be big enough with lots of plants and hiding places.

What I ment to say:
Betta imbellis males can be kept with betta imbellis females. Like betta splendens males can be kept with betta splendens females.

It is also possible to mix the species, because they are so alike they will interbreed.

Yes, IMO it is bad. Although many of the Asian breeders(not hobbiests) have cross bred different species, as much as possible we should try to keep the lines(especially wild)pure. If we keep crossing splendens with all the other types we will lose the wild types. The ibc has a great species maintenance site click here ,where you can learn more about wild types and their preservation.

Imbellis and splendens are basically the same with imbellis being the older (original) version of the two species.

interbreeding is not necesarily bad-thats how we got some of the great betta colors we have today like *~*copper*~* :thumbs:
but you probably od have to be a very experienced breeder and know a great deal about genetics

If you look at bbk's signature he has a picture describing a betta imbellis :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back