Betta imbellis information, can you keep a pair together?

Mai01

Reaction score
I’ve seen some conflicting information out there about these fish. My 10 gallon is almost cycled and I’m looking to add a betta fish when it is. I don’t have any experience with imbellis but they are so beautiful I was wondering if anyone could share about their personal experiences. I also saw some sites saying you could house a pair together which seems off when it comes to bettas, but is that true?

Crispii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You can, but from my experience, every time I keep splendens complex fish in a 10, the male constantly chases the female (that also includes B. imbellis). I have kept a group of imbellis in a 20 long (2 males and 3 females) and they do well for the most part. Males didn't fight, but instead flash to each other and I end up having a pair spawned for me.

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Betta imbellis are peaceful, in fact most Betta species are peaceful. Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) are the most aggressive Betta species and are a man made hybrid between Betta splendens, B. imbellis and a few other species. The used the other species to get more colour into B. splendens.

If the tank is 2 foot or longer, then you can have a few pairs in there. Smaller tanks would be better with a single pair.

Have lots of plants in the tank and a good cover on top to stop them jumping out.

Feed them a variety of dry, frozen and live foods, do regular water changes and let them do their thing.

OP
M

Mai01

Reaction score
You can, but from my experience, every time I keep splendens complex fish in a 10, the male constantly chases the female (that also includes B. imbellis). I have kept a group of imbellis in a 20 long (2 males and 3 females) and they do well for the most part. Males didn't fight, but instead flash to each other and I end up having a pair spawned for me.
A pair just sounded
Betta imbellis are peaceful, in fact most Betta species are peaceful. Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) are the most aggressive Betta species and are a man made hybrid between Betta splendens, B. imbellis and a few other species. The used the other species to get more colour into B. splendens.

If the tank is 2 foot or longer, then you can have a few pairs in there. Smaller tanks would be better with a single pair.

Have lots of plants in the tank and a good cover on top to stop them jumping out.

Feed them a variety of dry, frozen and live foods, do regular water changes and let them do their thing.
Would you recommend a pair over a single male?

trending

Members online