Betta identification and genetics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jsavage00

Reaction score
Hello,
I believe I have a 'fancy' halfmoon male betta (see picture, may be wrong) and I am going to try and breed him with one of my females (currently all veiltails). However, I read somewhere that the veiltail gene is dominant and thus would result in all the fry having a veiltail... is this still the case if the female is a veiltail?

P.S. I fully understand and am aware of the breeding process, space to accommodate and any other aspects relating to breeding. I am currently having trouble identifying this male and the potential fry.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 10A1653E-2C5F-4557-AA6E-75723411B83A.jpeg
    10A1653E-2C5F-4557-AA6E-75723411B83A.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 78
  • B8DB8F9F-CF86-4F47-8BE9-FA4ED32CEE35.jpeg
    B8DB8F9F-CF86-4F47-8BE9-FA4ED32CEE35.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 80
From what I know about genetics, all the babies would PROBABLY be veiltails. I'm assuming that your veiltails are homozygous dominant (meaning they have two genes that code for veiltail), since the person who bred your veiltails would've wanted pure genetics. If they have two dominant genes, then the genotypes of all the babies would be Vv (I'm gonna be using capital V as veiltail gene and lowercase v as non veiltail gene) since the only gene the mom could have passed down would be the V gene, and the only gene the dad could have passed down would be the v gene. this would mean the babies would all be veiltails, assuming the moms are all VV. There is a chance that at least one of the moms have Vv as a genotype, which would made half of her babies veiltails and the other half non-veiltails. But I'm assuming the person who bred the veiltails was looking for a very specific phenotype (how they look), so they would probably all be VV, making all the babies Vv, making them all veiltails. You would probably want to specify to the people you're selling to that they're heterozygous for the veiltail gene, especially if people are going to be using your babies for breeding. I have no clue what your male might be, I don't really know the different types of bettas. He's a beauty though. So yeah, to sum it up, if your lady bettas are purebred, you'll have all-veiltail fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back