Betta Fish Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scowt23

Reaction score
Request Help: Also due to Coronavirus shelter at home order, my access to supplies is limited as I have asthma and am not able to run out to the store. I am ordering the master test kit, but don't know how long it will take to arrive because of currently delayed shipping times EVERYWHERE.

Tank size: 3.5 gal (unable to upgrade to 5 gallons at the moment, but plan to when possible)
pH: Not sure
ammonia: Good (But still did a 50% water change just in case)
nitrite: Not sure
nitrate: Not sure
kH: Not sure
gH: Not sure
tank temp: 78 (we have a small heater in the tank)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Fish is acting lethargic, staying at the bottom of the tank and appears to have some sort of wound on him. We have fasted him for 2 days in case his behavior is a swim bladder issue. We aren't sure how he got the wound seen in the pics. There was one piece of decor that seemed like it could be the source so I removed it from the tank.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% once a week (I do condition the water and let it sit for a day before I do the water change/cleaning).

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Added bettafix due to wound/lesion

Tank inhabitants: A snail and the betta

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): N/A

Exposure to chemicals: N/A

Digital photo (include if possible):

Attachments

• 20200401_105855.jpg
    20200401_105855.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200401_111027.jpg
    20200401_111027.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 45
Welcome to the forum! If you treat the water to remove chlorine you do not need to let it sit overnight :) that's only if you dont treat it. Do a 75% water change every day until the problem is resolved, this will help prevent any secondary issues with the wound.
Please do not use bettafix, although it is sold for bettas it has tea tree oil in it which costs the surface of the water, bettas have a breathing organ (labyrinth) so often breath from the surface, when they do the tea tree oil coats their labyrinth and slowly suffocates them. Do a large water change immediately to get it out of the water.

Do you have any sharp tank decorations that he could have damaged himself on?

We had one piece in the aquarium that looks like it could have been the culprit, so I went ahead and removed it just in case. Thank you for the information on the water. I will go ahead and do a large water change for the little guy.

Keep us posted!

Am I correct in that it looks more like an injury than something else? My brother thought Ich, but I don't think it looks like that.

Am I correct in that it looks more like an injury than something else? My brother thought Ich, but I don't think it looks like that.
It is not ich. Ich looks like little white spots all over the body. I could be an injury or something else. @Colin_T is our disease guy so maybe he can say for sure. Until then keep doing the water changes :)

I don't think he is doing any better. :(
Oh no! Test your water,
Is everything good?
Does he have any new symptoms?
Pictures?

He just seems more lethargic. I've been doing water changes every day, roughly 50% to keep things good. I only have the ammonia tester. And it's at 0. His body looks the same. He's just even less active.

He just seems more lethargic. I've been doing water changes every day, roughly 50% to keep things good. I only have the ammonia tester. And it's at 0. His body looks the same. He's just even less active.
:(

Hi. The temp of my water is right around 79. I am now aware of the Nitrogen cycle but was not previously. I did not cycle the the tank before adding the betta, but know to do that in the future. We have had him in this tank since December though and he has been fine until this week. As per the pictures at the beginning of the thread, he looks to have sustained some sort of injury. I have been doing partial water changes daily to help with his healing. I am currently awaiting the delivery of the master water testing kit, but cannot go purchase one in store due to stay in place orders because of COVID-19. I have ordered one on Amazon, and hope for it to be here in the next couple days. Our little guy just doesn't seem to be improving. The ammonia is a 0. But that's the only test set I have. I can't tell the rest of the water quality until the kit arrives. I do condition the water before the water change.

Please let us know what the test results are. Exposure to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates take some time to affect the fish. He could be suffering from toxin poisoning. Until you get your test kit, I would do large 75% daily water changes with dechlorinator.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back