Betta fish is sick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

kevanshell

Reaction score
Betta fish is having some problems, things like losing a lot of fin, very inactive, refusing to go to the top, and not eating.

GH: 0
NO3: 0
NO2: 0
CI2: 0
KH : Somewhere between 120-240
PH: About 8.0

Tank is at 77-80 degrees.

I am using API Stress Coat and Aqua Safe

Tank Size is 3.5 gallons and is a year old (got before the betta)
When the fish was first got, it went through a period where it went maybe 2 weeks without a water change (water changes are every week)
Something important is that the tank had an entire thing of ammonia poured into it, and a ton of food poured into it. Unsure if this is really actually important, but it might be something useful.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo? Losing fin sounds like fin rot, a bacterial infection. What is your ammonia levels? If you added the betta WHILE the tank had the bottled ammonia and fish food in it, the ammonia is probably extremely high. If you just mean that is how you cycled it, then it shouldnā€™t be a problem as long as the ammonia was 0 when you added him and the old food was removed. Bad parameters can cause stress on the fish and bacterial infections to arise. I would use Bettafix to try to help the fin rot. If ammonia is anything but 0, I would do a water change and perhaps add some bottled bacteria to the filter cartridge to try and establish a colony.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo? Losing fin sounds like fin rot, a bacterial infection. What is your ammonia levels? If you added the betta WHILE the tank had the bottled ammonia and fish food in it, the ammonia is probably extremely high. If you just mean that is how you cycled it, then it shouldnā€™t be a problem as long as the ammonia was 0 when you added him and the old food was removed. Bad parameters can cause stress on the fish and bacterial infections to arise. I would use Melafix to try to help the fin rot. If ammonia is anything but 0, I would do a water change and perhaps add some bottled bacteria to the filter cartridge to try and establish a colony.
The ammonia levels are 0.
The incidents occurred while the betta was in the tank, but I quickly took out the fish and cleaned the tank. Both happened pretty long ago. The ammonia incident was in early September and the food incident was on Thanksgiving.
The tank was cycled with ammonia BEFORE the addition of the fish. I will get that photo as soon as possible.

I have considered that there may be too much stuff in the tank but I am yet to take anything out.
IMG_0819.jpg

The biggest issue here is that if he isnā€™t able to swim up, he wonā€™t be able to get oxygen from the surface. Hopefully thereā€™s enough oxygen in the water, but you can add an air pump to make sure there is.

I would definitely try Betta fix, I know I said Melafix originally, but I think Bettas have their own special version to use. Fin rot is treatable if caught in time, if your water parameters are good, then it could have developed the infection before you bought it and it just couldnā€™t fight it off. Hard to say.

The biggest issue here is that if he isnā€™t able to swim up, he wonā€™t be able to get oxygen from the surface. Hopefully thereā€™s enough oxygen in the water, but you can add an air pump to make sure there is.

I would definitely try Betta fix, I know I said Melafix originally, but I think Bettas have their own special version to use. Fin rot is treatable if caught in time, if your water parameters are good, then it could have developed the infection before you bought it and it just couldnā€™t fight it off. Hard to say.
He does have a filter in his tank, and he does occasionally swim up for air, its just that he is always on the ground. Unsure if its laziness

He does have a filter in his tank, and he does occasionally swim up for air, its just that he is always on the ground. Unsure if its laziness
There are a lot of things that can cause the bottom laying. My best guess is itā€™s stressed and ill from fin rot, but thereā€™s lot of reasons. What kind of food are you feeding and how much/often? Does the PH fluctuate at all? How strong is the filter? Did the fish get tossed around by the strong current at all?

I would not use melafix especially if there is no air pump as it decreases the amount of oxygen available in the water. It does look like fin rot and considering that your water parameters are good, I would agree with kyanite that itā€™s likely a bacterial fin rot and would try the betafix. Iā€™d also get a oxygen pump to help him breathe better as if there is not much oxygen in the water, thatā€™s another reason as to why he could be lethargic.

There are a lot of things that can cause the bottom laying. My best guess is itā€™s stressed and ill from fin rot, but thereā€™s lot of reasons. What kind of food are you feeding and how much/often? Does the PH fluctuate at all? How strong is the filter? Did the fish get tossed around by the strong current at all?
PH sits at around 8-8.4.
He gets BettaMin Flakes and Daphnia. Not a lot is fed but before a good amount was fed before I realized he is barely eating anything.
Filter isnt super strong.
How would you suggest I see how much oxygen is in the water?

Bettafix is different from Melafix because itā€™s diluted right? I heard Melafix oil can suffocate labyrinth breathers from coating the organ. Iā€™ve been told Almond leaves also have an antibacterial affect, and will also lower ph. Which I think OP could use since the ph is a bit high.

PH sits at around 8-8.4.
He gets BettaMin Flakes and Daphnia. Not a lot is fed but before a good amount was fed before I realized he is barely eating anything.
Filter isnt super strong.
How would you suggest I see how much oxygen is in the water?
Unfortunately oxygen tests are very expensive, but it shouldnā€™t hurt him to add a small air pump. 8-8.4 is a bit high. 7 is ideal. Is this coming from your tap water? You can try adding driftwood, catappa, or almond leaves. They will leach tannins that naturally lower the PH. Actually, Iā€™ve heard that those leaves have an affect on some bacteria, itā€™s worth a shot.

Unfortunately oxygen tests are very expensive, but it shouldnā€™t hurt him to add a small air pump. 8-8.4 is a bit high. 7 is ideal. Is this coming from your tap water? You can try adding driftwood, catappa, or almond leaves. They will leach tannins that naturally lower the PH. Actually, Iā€™ve heard that those leaves have an affect on some bacteria, itā€™s worth a shot.
There are also types of rocks I forget what they are called but unfortunately the ones I at least saw are likely too big for your tank, but possible to find smaller pieces, they are tan. As for the oxygen testing, Iā€™m both of my tanks I have 1-2 oxygen pumps running just to be on the same side.

Bettafix is different from Melafix because itā€™s diluted right? I heard Melafix oil can suffocate labyrinth breathers from coating the organ. Iā€™ve been told Almond leaves also have an antibacterial affect, and will also lower ph. Which I think OP could use since the ph is a bit high.
I am not sure about the organ part, but I know it prevents I believe oxygen entering the water at the surface so less is then available so having a oxygen pump helps break up the oil by disturbing the surface as well

There are also types of rocks I forget what they are called but unfortunately the ones I at least saw are likely too big for your tank, but possible to find smaller pieces, they are tan. As for the oxygen testing, Iā€™m both of my tanks I have 1-2 oxygen pumps running just to be on the same side.
I think you replied to the wrong person lol, Iā€™m not the one with the betta.

This is my tap water which has a high PH, ill try to find one of those air pumps and see about the driftwood and leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back