Betta fish is sick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah I think the almond leaves are the best bet for lowering PH and helping fin rot. The photo is blurry, so if the fin rot is really bad it may still require medications.

Would something like this work, I already have one and would be a quick solution?
2739d13c-de7a-4e7e-be5c-8a6e570bf708_1.png

Does it say how big of a tank it’s for? If it fits your tank size I’d say use it.

Bettafix is different from Melafix because it’s diluted right?
Bettafix is he same as Melafix, just more dilute to make it easier to dose smaller tanks.

None of the -fix medications should be used with any labyrinth fish as than cause problems with the labyrinth organ. They are not particuarly effective anyway. Melafix/Bettafix are more of an antiseptic than and antibacterial.
Melafix is just cajeput oil, but API don't say what's in Bettafix ("proprietory ingredients")

Bettafix is he same as Melafix, just more dilute to make it easier to dose smaller tanks.

None of the -fix medications should be used with any labyrinth fish as than cause problems with the labyrinth organ. They are not particuarly effective anyway. Melafix/Bettafix are more of an antiseptic than and antibacterial.
Melafix is just cajeput oil, but API don't say what's in Bettafix ("proprietory ingredients")
Then what should I do to help with fin rot?

First of all, lots of clean water - lots of water changes.
If it doesn't clear up, then try salt - aquarium salt or rock salt at the dose rate two heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons. Take a bit of water out of the tank, dissolve the salts in it then pour it slowly back into the tank. When you do a water change, add salt to the new water at the same dose rate to keep the level in the tank constant. Leave salt in the tank for a maximum of 4 weeks, or less if it clears up or the betta becomes distressed. Small daily water changes will remove the salt.
If that doesn't work, you'll need something stronger. Hopefully our American members will be able to recommend a medication.

If it doesn't clear up, then try salt - aquarium salt or rock salt at the dose rate two heaped tablespoons per 5 gallons. Take a bit of water out of the tank, dissolve the salts in it then pour it slowly back into the tank. When you do a water change, add salt to the new water at the same dose rate to keep the level in the tank constant. Leave salt in the tank for a maximum of 4 weeks, or less if it clears up or the betta becomes distressed. Small daily water changes will remove the salt.
If that doesn't work, you'll need something stronger. Hopefully our American members will be able to recommend a medication.
About how much water should I change and how often, like 25% a day?

The fish is on the bottom of the tank and is rapidly moving one of its fins

For sick fish, at least 50% a day. If there's no signs of improvement within 3 or 4 days (not total recovery, just better than it is now) then try salt for a maximum of 4 weeks. No longer than that or there could be kidney damage.

For sick fish, at least 50% a day. If there's no signs of improvement within 3 or 4 days (not total recovery, just better than it is now) then try salt for a maximum of 4 weeks. No longer than that or there could be kidney damage.
Alright, I'll try that

Would Himalayan Salt work?

As long as it's plain white Himalayan salt. The coloured salt has impurities which give it the colour and I'd be wary of those as you don't know what or how much the impurities are.

As long as it's plain white Himalayan salt. The coloured salt has impurities which give it the colour and I'd be wary of those as you don't know what or how much the impurities are.
Would Kosher Salt work, I only have pink Himalayan salt.

From what I can find on-line, Kosher salt is iodine free but may contain anti-caking agents. Does the packaging say what additives it has? If it doesn't have an, it is suitable.

UPDATE
Fish is doing better, no longer in one spot and is actually swimming around the tank

Most reactions

Back