The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Newbie283

Reaction score
Hi--
I have another thread open about this issue but am seeking additional help for secondary questions I have. I have a male butterfly named Mushu in a 5.5 gal heated and filtered planted tank with sand, driftwood, 3 ghost shrimp and moss balls. I have done a fish in cycle (cycle may not be complete he's only been in his newly established tank and a week/2 weeks). I have another Betta same setup with his tank being a month old and gravel instead of sand. The other fish is doing great.

On to the issue--
2 days after the first water change (replaced about a gallon and a half and was done a week after setting tank up) I noticed severe fin rot in Mushu. Looks to be more fin melt at this point. He has some cloudy white fluff at the tips of his fins and they are crumpled in some areas. I'm going to assume the issue is either his aquarium plants need pruning, I'm overfeesing, or the ammonia is spiking because his tank isn't completely cycled. Since I know almost certainly this is a water quality issue, although I have never properly tested either of the tank water (am getting api master kit tonight and will comment the water parameters after testing but temp is always at 78). I need some seasoned advice.

Should I keep him in his 5.5 gallon and just do water changes? If so how often and what percentage? I did a 50 percent change last night. Or should I start a one gallon quarantine tank and treat him with aquarium salt or triple sulfa? And would you recommend replacing his filter cartridge with a new one in his permanent tank to rid of the bad bacteria or should I keep it with the water changes to keep the established bacteria. I don't want to treat his permanent tank with any antibiotics because the shrimp and plants but also because I don't want to kill off any good bacteria and be forced to start over on another fish-in cycle.

Here's Mushu in his tank before the first water change, with no noticeable disease on his fins.
https://ibb.co/k6zFcG

Mushu 2 days after first water change
https://ibb.co/bKXkcG

I also noticed a could while fungus on his driftwood. I read on other forums this is quite common with new driftwood and is said to be harmless to the fish? Not sure if anyone has any opinions on it
https://ibb.co/cU3VBb

Please help!! I'm new to this but very fond of my fish and it's upsetting me to see him act so sick and lifeless. His appetite is fine (little piggy is still jumping for his pellets) but I do notice he just floats around in his plants most of the time.

Just did a water test, I also bought some liquid co2 for the live plants and some prime water conditioner.

Ammonia-0
Nitrates- 10ppm
Nirites- 1.0 ppm (yikes! Must be because it's not through a full cycle yet...might be the culprit for fin rot)
Ph-7.6 also too high.

I'm going to do a little under 50% water change a second day in a row but this time with tap water treated with prime water conditioner.

Also tested Nuggets tank (my healthy betta)
Ammonia-0
Nitrate- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Ph-7.6

Tap water (which I will now use for future water changes)
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Ph- 7.2-7.6

Guess that explains why Mushu is sick and Nugget is healthy!! Nitrites!! I'm going to hold off on changing nuggets water since his weekly 25% are doing him justice. Mushu is getting another 50% tonight. Any advice on lowering ph?? I will be back at pet smart tomorrow to get something for the ph and also to get a backup heater in case one of the heaters takes a crap. Don't want to loose one of my babies to a broken water heater!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back