Betta Feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a betta in a 5g tank with a mystery snail. I feed him Aqueon Pro betta formula supplemented with frozen brine shrimp. I am cautious not to over feed him. I supplement the snails diet with Algae wafers. Now I know the betta is a carnivore but he likes to feed on the snail's algae wafer. Do you think I am under-feeding him since he is seeking out plant-based food in addition to his meat diet? Thanks.

Probably not. Fish will act like they’re starving even if you’re feeding them properly, and carnivorous fish might still nibble on things for digestion (Same principle as a carnivorous cat eating grass). Now, granted, if you’re feeding him something like once every week, he might actually be starving, but since this seems like a princely diet for a betta, I doubt he’s starving. Bet here is that he’s just eating it for the sake of eating.

I have a betta in a 5g tank with a mystery snail. I feed him Aqueon Pro betta formula supplemented with frozen brine shrimp. I am cautious not to over feed him. I supplement the snails diet with Algae wafers. Now I know the betta is a carnivore but he likes to feed on the snail's algae wafer. Do you think I am under-feeding him since he is seeking out plant-based food in addition to his meat diet? Thanks.
I was researching Betta feeding weeks ago because I want to ultimately put one Betta in a 33L Tank. I remember watching this Betta Keeper on you-tube talking about and demonstrating the A to Z about Betta feeding. According to him and you'd see it in the video, his Betta fish stop eating the feed when they are full and thats his once a day feed. He feeds all his Betta fish the same way.

I am new here and not sure if I can post the video but if you search you-tube I remember he looked far eastern. (only said that for positive identification purposes) - a very thought provoking video about Betta feeding.
Hope this helps >

I was researching Betta feeding weeks ago because I want to ultimately put one Betta in a 33L Tank. I remember watching this Betta Keeper on you-tube talking about and demonstrating the A to Z about Betta feeding. According to him and you'd see it in the video, his Betta fish stop eating the feed when they are full and thats his once a day feed. He feeds all his Betta fish the same way.

I am new here and not sure if I can post the video but if you search you-tube I remember he looked far eastern. (only said that for positive identification purposes) - a very thought provoking video about Betta feeding.
Hope this helps >
Thanks for your input. That’s interesting, but I have seen warnings that Bettas’ stomachs are only as big as their eyeball. These sites have warned about feeding until full. hopefully somebody on this formum can enlighten us.

My betta used to do exactly the same thing. I was making sure to feed him enough and he still tried to get the algae tablet I'd feed my shrimp. It never did him any harm though, and he lived to 4 years old so I wouldn't worry about it that much!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back