Betta Coccina Breeding Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Definitely keep us posted! So cool:)

Still at 8 that I've definitely seen at the moment but they've got so many hiding places in the tank that I think I'll only get a proper count once they're a bit bigger.

Fry are still growing well. On the largest ones I can see tiny ventral fins and the largest are starting to darken up slightly. Still eating like pigs.

Lol, so are they piglet bettas? :rofl:

This must be such a cool experience for you! :)

These are 2 of the largest fry. One of them looks much darker to my eyes than its showing in the photos.
IMG_20200415_002000.jpg
IMG_20200415_001815.jpg

So here's a photo to show the size difference between the smallest fry and the largest fry. Development wise the smallest looks at the same stage, just in miniature. It's probably half the length and half the width of the big one.
IMG_20200415_181308.jpg
IMG_20200415_181338.jpg

Revising fry numbers again, there are at least 10 not including the tiny one. Tiny one needs to start growing or I suspect it may end up becoming a snack for its larger siblings before long.

Might be up to 12, another tiny fry has appeared so there is Tiny and Teeny tiny. I have been worrying about whether they've been able to get enough food but they both have big bellies after feeding so they're definitely getting something. The larger fry are developing colouring, no where near as pretty as adults yet but getting there.
Speaking of the adults, I turned my torch on them last night as I wanted to get a better look at something hanging off Filter Maybes face which just turned out to be a scale. There's quite a bit of arguing recently between the adults so I assume Filter Maybe got a bit of battering, I suspect Little Girl she seems to have developed little fish syndrome. However because I had the torch on them I caught Boss man in it and he lit up like a jewel so I subjected them to a bit of flash photography. The pictures are rubbish but the iridescence on the males is stunning.
IMG_20200421_235718.jpg
IMG_20200421_235921.jpg
IMG_20200421_235615.jpg

Boss man is also a bit battered as well, his anal fin should be much longer and tapered at the tail edge, the tip of it reached the tip of his tail until someone chomped it off a couple of weeks ago.

They are so pretty. What size tank do you have them all in?

5 in a 110 litre. They were peaceful in the beginning, Boss Man and Big Daddy divided the tank between them with each taking a side so never had much agro between them. The girls were a bit more vigorous but not much. Only had this patch of bother since taking Big Daddy and Split Fin out to breed then putting them back in. I think the ones left behind all had a growth spurt while they were out as Big Daddy was the largest of the group and now he's 3rd biggest and Little Girl has caught up to Split Fin in size whereas before she was half the size when I first got them.

Fry are still growing well apart from Tiny and Teeny tiny, Teeny tiny seems to have stopped growing completely. I've started introducing Fluval bug bites as well, about half the fry have worked out that the bug bites are also food whereas the other half aren't so keen. Couple of photos of The Beast, this is the largest fry and if Teeny Tiny doesn't start growing soon then it's going to be a snack.
IMG_20200429_235238.jpg
IMG_20200429_235232.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back