Betta Coccina Breeding Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

There's definitely at least 2 fry still alive as they were both at the front of the tank this morning. I can now see tiny little pectoral fins on them and when one rested on the biscuit cutter it looked like the first hints of colour were starting to appear. I'm really hoping at least one, if not both, are female as I want a female or two to keep for myself as I think Filter Girl is actually Filter Boy despite being 95% sure I saw her spawn a while back but I may have gotten 2 of them mixed up.

Fry are 2 weeks old now and growing well. Looking more like miniature fish rather than just eyes and belly though they're still mostly eyes.
IMG_20200317_233802.jpg
IMG_20200317_233802.jpg
IMG_20200317_233852.jpg
IMG_20200317_233950.jpg
IMG_20200317_233738.jpg
IMG_20200317_233710.jpg
IMG_20200317_233700.jpg

They are so cute! Do you have a place to sell them yet?

They are so cute! Do you have a place to sell them yet?
Haven't spoken to anyone yet but I had some interest from a few shops when I was buying bits and pieces. It also depends on how many of them there are. I want a couple of females for myself so got to wait and see what sexes they are, if they're all male then they're all going.

Awesome! What do you feed the fry?
At the moment Liquifry No1 but they'll be moving onto baby brine shrimp imminently.
It doesn't show up in the photos but they have developed tiny tail fins.

The fry are a month old now and continuing to grow. Their eyes are now much more like an adult's but without the blue to them yet. 3 of them are similar in size and 1 is quite a bit smaller.
IMG_20200331_000707.jpg

Thanks for sharing your fry pictures. I had to move my glowlight fry to a fry net. They were hiding in the floating hornwort but it has been breaking down and the other fish have been nipping their fins :mad: 2 out of the 3 I rescued were injured the two biggest are about 1/2 inch the other is a little smaller. I have not seen the tiny one in over a week. I hope the glow lights have more, I will remove them as soon as I see them.

Thanks for sharing your fry pictures. I had to move my glowlight fry to a fry net. They were hiding in the floating hornwort but it has been breaking down and the other fish have been nipping their fins :mad: 2 out of the 3 I rescued were injured the two biggest are about 1/2 inch the other is a little smaller. I have not seen the tiny one in over a week. I hope the glow lights have more, I will remove them as soon as I see them.

Poor babies! Hopefully the little one is still hiding somewhere.

So I thought I'd just had 4 fry survive this far but when I was watching them tonight a fifth one has appeared! I think there may be at least one more in there as I noticed a significantly smaller one this morning, half the size of the others, and the 5 I could see tonight were all similar size. They've also now developed dorsal and anal fins, no point trying to take a photo to show this as they're transparent at the moment. They're loving daphnia, I'm going to have to make another run to the LFS soon to buy some more.

Definitely at least 6, I've just found the teeny tiny one again. It is miniscule compared to the others, it looks about half their age.

It's brightened up my evening a bit as I had to put Triton, my Betta Splendens male, to sleep tonight. He'd developed a large internal tumour over time, I thought he was just bloated for quite some time until it developed into a one sided bulge. Unfortunately it broke the skin and ulcerated so I let him go. He was a stunning fish and I'm very sorry to lose him, I had entertained thoughts of breeding him and Thetis, my female, at some point.

Good to hear, they grow up fast, One of my injured fry seems to be swimming much better the other is having serious issues, he can not hover without doing barrel rolls but he can make it up to eat. Still have not seen the 4th one. He was very tiny but very fast so maybe there is hope.

Awesome! I'm glad they survived:)

Awesome! I'm glad they survived:)
Survived and seem to be multiplying! I found a couple more today so upto at least 8 now. Going through a bag of daphnia a day. Luckily they've timed it so I'll run out on the same day I go to do shopping for my grandparents so I can leave the dogs with them while I pop to the LFS so don't have to do too many trips out.

Fry are coming upto 6 weeks, I think. Definitely getting bigger apart from the tiny one, who I thought I'd lost but I've just seen it again tonight. They're eating like pigs. Saw what looked like a bit of display behaviour between 2 of them so guessing they're 2 males.
The adults are still reworking out the group dynamics. Prior to breeding, Big Daddy was the dominent male in the tank and there was very little agro. While he was out of the tank Boss man set himself up as the new dominent male while Little Girl and Split Fin have also been thrashing it out since Little Girl has had a growth spurt and they're now the same size. Big Daddy went to the bottom of the pecking order when he went back in but has started to reassert himself so there's a few bitten fins. I can't decide if the fifth Betta is male or female, the fins and size would suggest male, its the biggest of the group but I'm 90% certain I saw it spawn with Big Daddy back in January. Some days I think I can see an egg spot and other days I can't.
IMG_20200410_235031.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back