betta babbling..

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
:D
Just wanted to ask for an opinion on my oldest betta and ramble about my new ones...I got a short tailed betta the other day, I had him on my desk for a few days in a betta hex and he just has so much personality I fell in love instantly, he would jump so high and hit the top of his hex everytime I moved the cursor on the computer (he was right next to the monitor) :lol: , guess he thought the arrow was a fly :lol: :wub: , so I bought him a 2 gallon and moved him into the dining room, I don't think he likes it as much,he got waaay more attention over on the desk,and a better view.

I also bought 2 females (from Wal-mart, all the others were dead and I felt like I had to get them) we call them the twins...at first I put them in this HUGE fish bowl with caves and plants etc...all they did was fight, so I seperated them and one now has a mansion of a bowl and the others is pretty nice but not quite as big. They're just too cute, their bowls are side by side and they move in unison when you walk in the room or talk to them.
So that's 6 bettas now and I'm dying to breed them (candy cane boy & one of the new females :thumbs: ), but I'll wait until I'm set up for babies
The point of my post ( I knew I'd get to it eventually)....my oldest betta who I've had for a year, I'm assuming he's about a year & a half old or so, he's in the 29 gallon and all he does is swim back and forth and patrol but lately I've noticed him taking a lot more "breaks" and resting than usual and I think he's going blind. :sad: ,it seems that he's extremely near sighted and he's not as accurate as he used to be when I feed him, he'll pop around the food and miss it until I pretty much scoot it right in front of his nose. We have a "litter" of ghost shrimp that hatched a couple of weeks ago and they're swarming all over and driving him crazy (they're so bite sized and he just can't keep up with them ) So does anybody think it would flip him out if I put him in a tank alone or would it be a relief to him? He does like being the boss but all of my other bettas seem much happier being alone...they're just alone where as he's alone in a crowd of "cliques".hmmm, that must be why he likes my plec so much. So should I save up and buy him a little place of his own?

Hey, wuvmybeta, What did you decide to do with your older Mr. Beta? I keep mine in a cummunity tank. do any of your Betas' bodies blow up like a balloon? Not talking about their little military body language that says beware :wub: , but his belly has actually become 3 times its normal size. Anyway I think it is so cool that Beta's are becoming your forte. Every pet store has oodles of poor little Betas in these little tiny 6 ounce bowls :no: , that is so sad. So, I think your are a wonderful person to liberate as many as you have. They should have save the Betas like they have save the whales or children :fun: , well thanx for doing what you have been. I hope you let me know what you did. May all your Betas stay Happy, and Healthy!

Your Friend,

Angela Michaella Balbuena

hi there!! you could try putting him in a tank alone to see his reaction. i've heard that betta like to be alone at times and at other times they get lonely. it is in their nature. i know a little bit of history because of hearsay so i'm not sure on all the details. they are familiar with being alone, but during floods with more area to move about they are around other fishies. that is also when they spent time fighting with other males, if they survive and make it back into their little areas they than become territorial and agressive. so you see there is a pattern that's natural for them. i've been told that they can be real happy alone and all of a sudden appear to be depressed,give 'em some companions they perk up. Your betta might be opposite and want alone time.
i think it's great that you have been succesful with six bettas. i Have 2 now,and lost 3. i have 4 tanks that i would like to have a betta in each. well gotta now,let us know how it goes. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

AMY

Thanks you guys, I put him in a 10 gallon about 3 weeks ago and he seems happier than ever. He has a lovely female neighbour in a 2 gallon that he flirts with all day :wub: , it's kinda romantic :wub: :lol: & best of all...there's no one to snatch his food so he doesn't have to rush when he eats :D

Living in the community was fun & exciting for him at 1st but I think it grew tiresome & loud after awhile, actually I believe the clown loaches drove him bonkers, they're always so busy :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back