Betta 2.0

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I made a post a couple weeks ago about my girlfriend's betta fish not doing too well. Well the day has finally come, Arthur is dead. I have to assume it's just that he was a PetSmart fish who is in one of those little cups. Water is how it should be and the same as my other tanks. This post isn't asking how he died. It's letting everyone know that he did die and that she will be trying again with a new fish, his name will be Bishop.

We are going to a fish store near me that I know keeps the bettas in much better condition. Before we go we are going to test the water again but I very much doubt a drastic change has happened since I tested it two days ago. The water is good for fish to go in.

We are now wondering if there is anything that can go in with the betta. I know you have to be careful because they are bullies. It's a little 5-gallon tank. My current plan is just to have a betta and two snails. She wants to know if anything else can go in there other than what the current plan is.

I wouldn't add anything else, depending on the betta (they're all different in temperament), the snails might not even work...I once had a betta that would bite at the eye stalks of a mystery snail.

I wouldn't add anything else, depending on the betta (they're all different in temperament), the snails might not even work...I once had a betta that would bite at the eye stalks of a mystery snail.
If I get just the Betta how could I tell if he will get along with others? Would I need the snails to know or can I tell when he is alone?

If I get just the Betta how could I tell if he will get along with others? Would I need the snails to know or can I tell when he is alone?
You won't know until you introduce him to others, that's why you always need a backup plan with those fish.

I made a post a couple weeks ago about my girlfriend's betta fish not doing too well. Well the day has finally come, Arthur is dead. I have to assume it's just that he was a PetSmart fish who is in one of those little cups. Water is how it should be and the same as my other tanks. This post isn't asking how he died. It's letting everyone know that he did die and that she will be trying again with a new fish, his name will be Bishop.

We are going to a fish store near me that I know keeps the bettas in much better condition. Before we go we are going to test the water again but I very much doubt a drastic change has happened since I tested it two days ago. The water is good for fish to go in.

We are now wondering if there is anything that can go in with the betta. I know you have to be careful because they are bullies. It's a little 5-gallon tank. My current plan is just to have a betta and two snails. She wants to know if anything else can go in there other than what the current plan is.
All depends on the temperament of the Betta. (As said above)

If your Betta is sort of chill, as long as the tank is heavily planted, then shrimp could work out. You never know until you actually get the Betta.

If you are looking into snails, I would recommend Nerite snails. Mystery snails have super long antennas, that Bettas may confuse with worms or other food, and should not be added.

All depends on the temperament of the Betta. (As said above)

If your Betta is sort of chill, as long as the tank is heavily planted, then shrimp could work out. You never know until you actually get the Betta.

If you are looking into snails, I would recommend Nerite snails. Mystery snails have super long antennas, that Bettas may confuse with worms or other food, and should not be added.
It will be heavily planted soon and it has a couple of structures, so lots of hiding spots and shade. I'll get the betta and two nerite snails and watch them interact, if they do interact.

It will be heavily planted soon and it has a couple of structures, so lots of hiding spots and shade. I'll get the betta and two nerite snails and watch them interact, if they do interact.
You shouldn’t have an issue with the Betta and the snails. I do find that Dumbo Ear Bettas are usually less aggressive than veil tails or Plakats.

You shouldn’t have an issue with the Betta and the snails. I do find that Dumbo Ear Bettas are usually less aggressive than veil tails or Plakats.
The place we're getting the Betta from has halfmoon and twin tail halfmoon Bettas. What are they usually like?

The place we're getting the Betta from has halfmoon and twin tail halfmoon Bettas. What are they usually like?
I don’t really have experience with those variants...

I suggest you get the Betta that “speaks to you” and you can worry about the shrimp later. :)

Theres not really anything else that you could put into a 5g, with a betta and not overstock it. Nerite snails are cool, lovely shell variants, just make sure that you get a male or there will be eggs everywhere! I like ramshorn snails too. I think snails are probably the best tank mates for bettas, all of my betta tanks have snails in. Shrimp tend to become a snack and other fish are inadvisable to be kept with a solitary fish

Theres not really anything else that you could put into a 5g, with a betta and not overstock it. Nerite snails are cool, lovely shell variants, just make sure that you get a male or there will be eggs everywhere! I like ramshorn snails too. I think snails are probably the best tank mates for bettas, all of my betta tanks have snails in. Shrimp tend to become a snack and other fish are inadvisable to be kept with a solitary fish
That was my plan, 1 Betta and 2 Nerite snails

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back