Best / worst types of corydoras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!! Not sure if it really makes any difference but is there any specific kinds of corys people recommend/ donā€™t recommend. I know some kinds of fish can get health conditions based on how theyā€™ve been bread. Iā€™ve been looking at peppered, pandas and false Julii corys just based on which ones Iā€™ve liked when Iā€™ve gone to look at them at the shop. I want the corys I get to be around 5/6cm fully grown.
Is there a certain ratio of females to males thats recommended?

I donā€™t recommend getting Panda Corys. They are in such high demand, that they are inbred, causing a weakened immune system. Some people have luck with them, but I have not found it.

I strongly recommend False Juliiā€™s. They are much hardier than Pandas. I have 8 right now and Iā€™m really enjoying them.

That's really interesting. I wonder if I should look into what's most popular in my area and avoid those. What sort of size are yours? I've seen people say different sizes online :/

I think certain corys are more social and more interesting to watch , I hear peppered corys are really shy and donā€™t do much swimming, my bronze group are hit and miss they come out for food or when spawning but thatā€™s it really but my group of 10 is fairly small maybe they would be more interesting if I made the group larger

I think certain corys are more social and more interesting to watch , I hear peppered corys are really shy and donā€™t do much swimming, my bronze group are hit and miss they come out for food or when spawning but thatā€™s it really but my group of 10 is fairly small maybe they would be more interesting if I made the
I didn't think there would be that much difference between them all but it seems like they're all very different!

I didn't think there would be that much difference between them all but it seems like they're all very different!
I think the similarities they share is the larger the group the better and they like softer water lol Iā€™m no Cory expert at all , I bought a group of bronze corydora out of impulse but they are easy to fall in love with and il keep boosting the group

There aren't any "bad" corys, behavior-wise, or in ease of keeping...just be sure to get at least 6, 8 better, 10 awesome

Also, that tank is about medium size, so search for corys that are medium sized, as well....check seriouslyfish.com or planetcatfish.com for adult sizes of corys you are interested in...

There aren't any "bad" corys, behavior-wise, or in ease of keeping...just be sure to get at least 6, 8 better, 10 awesome

Also, that tank is about medium size, so search for corys that are medium sized, as well....check seriouslyfish.com or planetcatfish.com for adult sizes of corys you are interested in...
Didn't think so, I like the look of all of them. :D I finished cycling my tank (thanks for the advice with that last week by the way!) and have got 6 ember tetras (will be getting at least 2 more), a group of corys and a betta. I think I'd better get corys that grow to around 5cm so I have enough room for 6 of them.

Check which corys you have available locally, then do your research on them...don't be in a rush to add right away, pick some that suit your water params and tank size

All corys are great! I haven't heard of UK members having any issues with pandas. I've had a group for two years now with no deaths. If you provide the right conditions - check on Seriouslyfish.com- any of those types will be good choices.
As others have said, space and a decent group are needed, I would also say soft sand substrate is a requirement but some people have success with smooth pea gravel where there maintenance is of a high standard.

I wouldn't recommend combining betta with cory - cory tend to like cooler water and betta need it pretty warm. But in principle, the betta should be the last one to go in the tank because they are territorial. Most fish keepers here regard betta splendens as a fish that should be housed alone.

Will do, am I best to add ALL fish before putting a betta in?
Yes...but be advised of the info provided here about bettas with other fish...I've kept bettas with corys, some worked out, some did not

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back