Best / worst types of corydoras?

It seems to me like certain corys are overbred in different countries. Do you know what your PAH corys are? My local PAH has peppered, bronze and albino. Seems to me that the false juliis have an over breeding problem in the UK.

I haven't been inside a Pets at Home in well over a year, but I hazily remember seeing C. paleatus (peppered), C. panda, and C. aeneus (bronze), both the normal colours and the albino and black morphs. They might have had trilineatus as well. Can't remember. I got my trilineatus, pygmaeus, and habrosus from our local Maidenhead Aquatics. The others all came from a nerdy independant LFS.

It seems to me like certain corys are overbred in different countries. Do you know what your PAH corys are? My local PAH has peppered, bronze and albino. Seems to me that the false juliis have an over breeding problem in the UK.
Can you find a better supplier for fish? P@H fish will often introduce disease into your stock. I have had good experiences with trilineatus (false julii) from Maidenhead but this is my second shop choice. I've had the least issues from Sweet Knowle.

Can you find a better supplier for fish? P@H fish will often introduce disease into your stock. I have had good experiences with trilineatus (false julii) from Maidenhead but this is my second shop choice. I've had the least issues from Sweet Knowle.
I got my ember tetras from Maidenhead. I’ll have a look into it!

I don't exactly understand why C.napoensis isn't quite available. Such a great medium sized Cory.

I have C. adolphoi, CW009, and one C. panda in a 110L tank; Aspidoras spilotus, C. carlae, C. pygmaeus, and C. habrosus in a 125; and CW045, C. bethanae (the fish formerly known as CW006), and C. schulzei in a 240.

The panda had friends, at one point, but attrition rate for that species was far too high. It seems happy enough with the CW009s and the adolphois, and I'm not getting more pandas. I also had a shoal of C. trilineatus (false julii) at one point, but within a year, they all keeled over, one by one, with no visible signs of any pathology. Research and asking people like Ian Fuller, who know their stuff, suggested that those species are commercially bred in extremely high numbers, without much consideration for health, and problems with them are common. Apparently both C. trilineatus and C. panda are known for it. As is C. schulzei -- as a line-bred color morph of C. aeneus -- but mine, which are Pets at Home specials, have done alright, and they've even spawned.

I would have more obscure corys if I had room for more tanks, but I don't.
Are your pets at home specials the black ones labelled as “ black Corys”? They’re a variation of Aeneus aren’t they? As I may be inheriting some soon.

I haven't been inside a Pets at Home in well over a year, but I hazily remember seeing C. paleatus (peppered), C. panda, and C. aeneus (bronze), both the normal colours and the albino and black morphs. They might have had trilineatus as well. Can't remember. I got my trilineatus, pygmaeus, and habrosus from our local Maidenhead Aquatics. The others all came from a nerdy independant LFS.
Aaaaah. Should’ve read to the end of the thread!

Pets at Home labeled them as 'Venezuelan black corys,' but they are from Venezuela like I'm from Venezuela. They are definitely the black linebred morph of C. aeneus, which were first bred by some guy in Germany in the 1980s. The guys at the nerdy LFS where I now buy fish said C. schulzei are prone to health problems, but I've had my wee shoal for almost two years. I got them early in my fishkeeping journey, when I didn't know much about corys, and I thought they looked cool. Given how inbred they might be and their Pets at Home background, they have been amazing wee things.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back