Best / worst types of corydoras?

I did the full fishless cycle that’s recommended in this forum, so by the time I get them the tank will be at least 8 weeks old. Hopefully this will be ok!
As long as water parameters are stable, they should be fine. :)

My heater keeps the tank at 25c. Would I need a heater that keeps it a bit warmer for a betta?
That would be fine for a betta;

But warmer than Peppered Corydora like;

So I'd consider a different cory species with a wider temp range for them to be comfortable in the same tank as a betta :)

Wow sounds so similar to what I’ll be having!! I’ve got a cave area right in the middle with a little clearing ready for them to swim about in ? Does everyone get on well?
Yes, everyone gets alone very well. I do have two that are aways together, like they're glued together. :)

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw in anyway. Panda cories are my favorite. I've heard all the stuff about them being inbred and sickly, but that hasn't been my experience. Get a school of six or more, and they are very social and always out in the open. False bandit cories, on the other hand, are cute-looking but among the most timid fish I've ever kept. Never, ever saw them except when doing maintenance.

I never cared for all the various speckled varieties; just don't like the way they look. I always wanted to try adolphos, as I think they're the prettiest. But my suppliers have never had them when I needed them.

Hello!! Not sure if it really makes any difference but is there any specific kinds of corys people recommend/ don’t recommend. I know some kinds of fish can get health conditions based on how they’ve been bread. I’ve been looking at peppered, pandas and false Julii corys just based on which ones I’ve liked when I’ve gone to look at them at the shop. I want the corys I get to be around 5/6cm fully grown.
Is there a certain ratio of females to males thats recommended?
The three Julii corys I have are fun, with lots of personality, and hang out together. My favorite ones are 6 dwarf cory cats. They are very small and super active, and constantly keeping the plants clean. I don’t know for sure, but it looks like they may even eat algae off of them. There are three more that look like pepper corys, and they are kind of boring.

No love for the sterbai Coreys on this forum?
Absolutely love them - but I actually love all corys :)
I have corys in almost all of my tanks - found out that cichlids are really rough ... nibling on the corys' fins, so I've moved the cichlids to at larger tank.
Doing a BIG move around of the inhabitants of my different tanks to make more space for the group of juvenile cichlids I had in one tank. Also I now have the fish species that I want, so now they can settle in their "forever tanks" :)

I have C. adolphoi, CW009, and one C. panda in a 110L tank; Aspidoras spilotus, C. carlae, C. pygmaeus, and C. habrosus in a 125; and CW045, C. bethanae (the fish formerly known as CW006), and C. schulzei in a 240.

The panda had friends, at one point, but attrition rate for that species was far too high. It seems happy enough with the CW009s and the adolphois, and I'm not getting more pandas. I also had a shoal of C. trilineatus (false julii) at one point, but within a year, they all keeled over, one by one, with no visible signs of any pathology. Research and asking people like Ian Fuller, who know their stuff, suggested that those species are commercially bred in extremely high numbers, without much consideration for health, and problems with them are common. Apparently both C. trilineatus and C. panda are known for it. As is C. schulzei -- as a line-bred color morph of C. aeneus -- but mine, which are Pets at Home specials, have done alright, and they've even spawned.

I would have more obscure corys if I had room for more tanks, but I don't.

I'm a little late to the party, but I'll throw in anyway. Panda cories are my favorite. I've heard all the stuff about them being inbred and sickly, but that hasn't been my experience. Get a school of six or more, and they are very social and always out in the open. False bandit cories, on the other hand, are cute-looking but among the most timid fish I've ever kept. Never, ever saw them except when doing maintenance.

I never cared for all the various speckled varieties; just don't like the way they look. I always wanted to try adolphos, as I think they're the prettiest. But my suppliers have never had them when I needed them.
Everyone's opinions are greatly appreciated, I'm still looking into what would be best for my tank. I've heard mixed things about pandas but everyone in the UK seems to think the over breeding of pandas isn't an issue here. I don't think they'd be completely suitable for my tank due to the water parameters sadly :( Adolfos are on my list of potentials so I'll have a better look into those!

I have C. adolphoi, CW009, and one C. panda in a 110L tank; Aspidoras spilotus, C. carlae, C. pygmaeus, and C. habrosus in a 125; and CW045, C. bethanae (the fish formerly known as CW006), and C. schulzei in a 240.

The panda had friends, at one point, but attrition rate for that species was far too high. It seems happy enough with the CW009s and the adolphois, and I'm not getting more pandas. I also had a shoal of C. trilineatus (false julii) at one point, but within a year, they all keeled over, one by one, with no visible signs of any pathology. Research and asking people like Ian Fuller, who know their stuff, suggested that those species are commercially bred in extremely high numbers, without much consideration for health, and problems with them are common. Apparently both C. trilineatus and C. panda are known for it. As is C. schulzei -- as a line-bred color morph of C. aeneus -- but mine, which are Pets at Home specials, have done alright, and they've even spawned.

I would have more obscure corys if I had room for more tanks, but I don't.
It seems to me like certain corys are overbred in different countries. Do you know what your PAH corys are? My local PAH has peppered, bronze and albino. Seems to me that the false juliis have an over breeding problem in the UK.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back