Best Schooling Fish...

agutt

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey all I have a 20 US gallon planted tank that will have 3 ottos in it. I am looking to get a nice schooling fish but I can't decide which ones to get.

Some ideas were:

Galaxy Rasboras
Spotted Rasboras
Harlequin Rasboras

Rummy Nose Tetras
Black Phantom Tetras
Red Eye Tetras
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Bloodfin Tetras

I am not limited to these...

HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!
 
don't get red eye tetras because they are a pain in the butt, fin nippers

Galaxy and harlequin rasboras are nice but galaxy are on the endangered species list and should be bred if you keep them.

10 Rummynose and 10 black phantoms would make a nice combination

neons and cardinals always look good especially if the tank has a dark substrate and black background
 
In the wild, fish school for protection. In our tanks, they will usually school pretty much when they are first put in the tank as they are still in protection mode. Once they realize there isn't a predator in the tank, they usually split up and go their separate ways. You will almost never see more than a few of them together except at feeding time.

If you only plan to have tetras or other small community fish, I don't think you really have to worry about nippers. Red-eyes are very hardy as tetras go and are a good one for a new tank. When I set up my first tank, I cycled it with red-eyes (before I knew about fishless cycling but at least with an old filter pack from my sons tank). I have black phantoms in my 75 gallon (only 3 left now though) and they are nice fish too. It's also very easy to sex them too as the male and females have very different coloration.

I will second what Colon said about the black substrate. In actuallity, I think it really brings out the color of any fish but the reds in particular. I think neons, cardinals, rummynose, bleeding hearts and bloodfins would all look great with black substrate (I use tahitian Moon Sand in all of my tanks except the 75 gallon which has Eco-Complete which is also black).

And you should be fine with 10 & 10 on the small tetras provided you have good filtration and a good maintanence plan. Yes, it's over the 1 inch per gallon guide but they are light waste producers. Just don't go overboard to start with, even if you do a fishless cycle. I would probably start with 5 & 5 and let the tank matrer a little before upping the numbers.
 
As far as the black substrate is concerned...

Had I known about eco-complete when I put my tank together I would have used that. On the other side of this I am going to have a glosso carpet where the substrate is visible so it will be mostly green.

I have also just discovered Rasbora Hengeli which i think I am gonna go with ill start with 5-10 and then perhaps move to 15-20...

think this will work?



The substrate I have is Seachem Flourite btw
 
The best schooling fish I have ever kept is the Rummynose, these will always be together and are active swimmers. I would get 20 of these if you want the schooling effect.
 
I would go with some Rasboras or Rummynoses, scissortail rasboras can grow to 8cm/3" and are very active so these would need a 90cm tank as a minimum.
 
Is this a good time to point out that none of the fish above school (certainly not in our tanks) but rather shoal? ;)
I thought about that when I typed my reply but just let it go as most people lop them together as the same thing even though there is a big difference. The simplified version is that fish shoal simply by design to be together for no real reason other than to be together. Like hanging out at the local watering hole with your firends. Fish school for protection when there is a present threat. There is generally a pattern to their spacing and a purpose to their movements. If you put a school of tetras in a tank with predatory fish, they will hide and shoal based on the old safety in numbers thing. In either case they rarely do either in our tanks other than some shoaling but it's still rare to see them all together.
 
very informative! thanks! i did just lop the two terms together...but now its good to know the difference.

Rummynoses spound pretty good, and I have heard that they actually stay together more than other types...

Still hanging on those Rasbora Hengeli...anyone here ever had them?
 
I think that Rasbora hengeli look fantastic in a shoal, although they're aren't as common as the other species, most specialist retailers should be able to obtain some for you.
 
The simplified version is that fish shoal simply by design to be together for no real reason other than to be together. Like hanging out at the local watering hole with your firends. Fish school for protection when there is a present threat. There is generally a pattern to their spacing and a purpose to their movements.

That is perhaps too simplified. I would prefer to say a shoal is a group of individuals together. A school is a group of fish moving as one organism. Protection doesn't have to be the cause (though it seems to most often be).

If anyone suffers from insomnia there is more detailed info here.
 
That was a very interesting and informative link andywg thanks!

Rasboras seem to be winning out. They were my original choice but then I got myself all caught up in rummy noses and black phantom tetras. The mind changing then ensued...

If I cannot get my hands on some Hengeli, I'll probably go for some Harlequins...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top