Best schooling fish for 20+ gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SlenderSilver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be upgrading my current 10 gallon which houses only a male Betta to a new 105 litre/ 23 gallon tank. I'd like to get some great, active schooling fish and I'm not sure which would work best.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

105 litre/ 23 gallon tank
105 liters are 28 gallons, not 23.

As for fish, we would need to know your water's Ph, Gh, temperature, flow, and tannins content.
but considering you have a betta I will assume that you have a slightly acidic to neutral tank with low to moderate hardness, 24 degrees celsius, really low mild flow, and a few tannis at the very least in a mildly yellowed colored water. Since I love biotopes I would recommend anything from southeast Asia, if you ask me I would go for a nice shoal off 10 harlequin rasboras, and in case your betta isn't aggressive a few cherry shrimp of your favorite morph.
don't use tiger barbs since they like to nip the fins of other fish

Are you going to keep your betta fish in your new tank? I am just learning about bettas but from what I have learned some bettas will not tolerate other fish. But it depends on your betta's personality. Fish that have flashy colorful tails and bodies might get in trouble with a betta.

Are you going to keep your betta fish in your new tank? I am just learning about bettas but from what I have learned some bettas will not tolerate other fish. But it depends on your betta's personality. Fish that have flashy colorful tails and bodies might get in trouble with a betta.
yes, it all depends on the bettas personality, some may be mellow enough to even allow another betta while other will kill any tank mate you try

105 liters are 28 gallons, not 23.

As for fish, we would need to know your water's Ph, Gh, temperature, flow, and tannins content.
but considering you have a betta I will assume that you have a slightly acidic to neutral tank with low to moderate hardness, 24 degrees celsius, really low mild flow, and a few tannis at the very least in a mildly yellowed colored water. Since I love biotopes I would recommend anything from southeast Asia, if you ask me I would go for a nice shoal off 10 harlequin rasboras, and in case your betta isn't aggressive a few cherry shrimp of your favorite morph.
don't use tiger barbs since they like to nip the fins of other fish

Hi,

Ph: 7.2
Gh: unknown
Temperature: 24 degrees celsius
Flow: slow
Tannins: water is slightly yellow

I've seen some videos of bettas with neon tetras or cardinal tetras and it looks really nice. Again, just depends on the temperament of your betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back