Best school for a 10gal

ECH2005

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've gone through so many possible ways to stock my 10gal, yet I still am left undecided. But one thing I have decided on is that I want a school of small fish. But what fish should I go with? I've always liked Neon Tetras, but have heard nothing but bad things about them. What are some of the other types of tetras and other species that I should consider? The smaller the better. I would like to have some room for a trio of corys, as they seem to be many peoples favorites, and even a dwarf gourami if possible, but I don't see how I would be able to do that without overstocking... anyways, everyones suggestions are welcome!

Do you want a lively tetra, as I have black neons but they are sometimes abit shy fand I find them hardy compared to some, I no harlequins are not tetra's but they are a lovely shoaling fish.

It's only if you run into a bad batch of neons that you hear bad things about. Neons should do fine. If you like them, then go for it.

I know it's been said that cherry barbs are not shoaling fish like other barbs, but I think a few of them in a tank would be nice. We have a pair and the male is a beautiful bright color and they are very active.

I'll be watching this thread-I'm setting up a 10gal and would like to get ideas of what to put in it.

The problem with neons (and cardinals to some extent) is that the domesticly bred ones are mass-produced and impred (like dwarf gouramies) and that causes weaknesses in their immune system leaving them especialy succeptible to disease. Wild-caught neons are a problem because they require specific water conditions and an established system. Once they have settled, however, the wild ones are quite hardy. Domestic neons will adapt to most conditions but will contract diseases easily. Obviously, it's a difficult situation.

Cherry barbs, checker barbs and golden dwarf barbs are all great fish for a smallish tank :).
Harlequin and spotted rasboras are also nice.
You may be able to fit a dwarf gourami in there if you don't add particularly large cories or shoaling fish and keep them in a modest shoal.
A good option for very small cories are the dwarf cory. However, you may find they don't spend as much time on the bottom as other cories. They are still just as active and playful though.

Some other tetras you may want to consider are black phantoms which are so very entertaining :p Black neons, rummy-nose (very pretty IMO), head and tail light/beacon, glowlight and flame tetras.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far... oh, and just for clarity, I want suggestions for all kinds of fish, not just tetras :D

I like the black phantoms from what I've seen and read, but I don't think I've seen them at the lfs, are they rare? Or perhaps I've just overlooked them...

I'm also considering harlequin rasboras as well, and cherry barbs...

so many choices, so little space... I should have just gotten a bigger tank! lol...

anyways, keep the suggestions comming :)

Depending on what else you are going to get, you could get 5 - 6 zebra danios, very underated and they play all day. but you must have 4+ and that will leave you with very little room for anything else, mabe a small group of corys. What filtration have you got, if its over filtered I dont see a problem with say, 5 ZD, 3 Cory julii/peppered/panda and a Dwarf Gourami. Nice mix IMO.

Jon

I'm at work right now, so I don't know the specifics, but my filter is for a 20gal so i think it should be pretty well filtered...

I thought zebra danios needed more room to swim than a 10gal...?

Yes, I would rather not see zebra danios in anything less that 20 gallons... or at least 15. Many people do keep them in a 10 and they are VERY hardy but they do love to swim and are incredibly active. I absolutely love these fish and they have surprising characters but I wouldn't suggest them for your tank though there are smaller danios you could try if you could find them.

There is no fish that fits the criteria of "small", "readily available", and "schooling" than harlequin rasboras. They are among my favorite fish. They're hardy, they're colorful, they're cheap... and they school much better than just about any fish out there.

3 (small) corys, 5 rasboras, and 1 dwarf gourami can be done in a well filtered/maintained 10g. It's not ideal (the bigger the school the better for corys and rasboras), but I've seen a lot worse choices for a 10g. Should be a fun, lively tank.

Wow, I just saw a movie of harlequin rasboras, and pictures do not do them justice! they are rather beautiful fish! so I think I will end up getting a school of 5, and a dwarf gourami... I think I'm going to hold off on the corys at first, since from what I've read they're rather sensitive...

thanks for all your help guys, I think that I've finally found what to get! Now lets see if that holds up until my tank cycles...

I think I'm going to look for harlequin rasboras too. Hopefully the lfs has some.

harlequins are nice but i second the reccommendation for black phantoms, very hardy and they do a cool flaring thing at each other. theyre not rare here, depends where you live i guess :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back