Best Sand To Use And Cheapest?

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
6,671
Reaction score
438
Points
83
Location
Wirral UK
I've already got sand in my tank but need more as the tank has become a discus tank and I want to add more plants which is difficult with the little sand that in there

There was some sand in my LFS on saturday but it was £18 for a bag that wasn't that big!! seemed a bitsteep to me

Is there a cheaper alternative, I think I used early learning sand about 15 yrs ago?

obviously it will have to be aquarium safe

thanks

simon
 
Play sand is a cheap alternative as well as landscaping/paving sand. May need to be rinsed a bit more than your standard aquarium sand.

I actually really like the paving sand looks really natural...like river sand. Can be a bit dusty. The paving sand is about $5 for 50#.
 
Argos 15K bag for just under £3 ! Can't get much cheaper than that ! i used 2 bags on my trigon 190 just for an indication of how much you'll need

Oh and Rinse it VERY well !

:D
 
I second that (Argos Play Sand) and the rinsing thing!

It can take up to a couple of weeks to completely clear (it depends on how thorough you are :hey: )
 
Yep Ive used play sand, my tanks were clear instantly, but then I spent A LONG time cleaning it.
 
^it took me about 40mins to rinse enough sand to do a 2-3'' layer in my 65l tank :) worth it though....it was still abit cloudy though
 
well £3 sounds far more attractive than £18!!!

cheers for all the info guys off to Argos for me tomorrow
 
As well as play sand there is also Silver Sand that can be purchased from any garden centre or DIY store.
Last time i brought it, it was £3.99 for a 25kg bag
 
me too :) nice and cheap and make sure you rinse it really well
 
After putting in play sand... I hated it. Spend the extra money and get pool filter sand instead. Not gritty, nicer granules, and has slight varigated colors in it. It looks much, much more natural than play sand. Play sand is cheap and looks cheap IMO.
 
i was looking on the argos site and there are loads of reviews from people using it on there tanks,

would this be ok for a fry tank? should i use pollishing pads in the filter to get rid of most of the "dust" in the tank?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top