Best Active Snakehead For 4Ft Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lloyd

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Has any body got any opinions on which smaller snakhead is more lively than most.

I am really growing a liking for snakheads and would love to devote my new tank to one but seeing as im not as fortunate as others to keep lots of tanks i want to chose the right one (i.e ticks all the boxes to be a showpeice fish in my tank in my lounge)

:good:

How many litres is the tank? Dimensions? I got 3 channa bleheri (rainbow snakeheads) in a juwel 260 ( 260 litre ) with low lighting and lots of hiding places. They are sub tropical so live in temps at 19-20 degrees c. I know of no snakeheads that are "active" they only occasionally come up to the top of the water for air and then go back down ( as these fish have a set of lungs to breath so go to the top of the tank for air). You may see them swim but not much as they should have a lot of cover from plants and hiding places. Only other time I see mine is when I drop them some prawn :)

Also don't put them in a tank with anything else lol

I love rainbow snakeheads but was just wondering if any other snakheads break the mold and or more midswimming and active. the tank will be 4 ft by 2ft by 2ft so im thinking its a bit small

My tank is 3 foot and that's enough space for 3 of them. Your tank size will be more than big enough if you was to get a dwarf species. Like I said, no snakeheads are what you'd call "active" they come out for a little swim or to eat and that's about it lol they have got some really good colours though and I'd never regret getting mine.

Actually sorry m8, just checked, my 250 is a 4 footer lol but your tank is wider and higher so it will be more than enough for dwarf snakeheads

why not try some Pulchra, theyre my favourite Ive just got 6 babies to grow on and to hope for a pair. someone on this forum has just bred them I think

They are extremely colourful but better looking in a butch way than the likes of belheri and assam and when i kept them before reasonably active and stayed in the mid territories of the tank

Channa are pretty much NOT active fish.

There is an exception though.
Pleuros, Micropeltes, Marulioides and Marulius tend to be active, open water swimmers.
But sadly you will need a muuuuch bigger tank for those.

Basically, if you want active fish, Channa are not for you.

Channa are pretty much NOT active fish.

There is an exception though.
Pleuros, Micropeltes, Marulioides and Marulius tend to be active, open water swimmers.
But sadly you will need a muuuuch bigger tank for those.

Basically, if you want active fish, Channa are not for you.

Im not disagreeing Gasmask but when Ive had Orientalis and my Pulchra they have been as active in a species tank as most cichlids Ive kept just not tetra style active. I still think in a species tank with lots of plants and cover they make interesting inhabitants and you can enjoy their behaviour as a group growing in to a pair

My pulchra are active and very interesting, they have spawned 3 times now, the fry are coming on really well and should be ready for sale in a couple of weeks if your interested.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back