Behind Closed Doors....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I do not advertise that I've got (limited) variety of fish available for sale (giveaway), - only by word of mouth, but I currently have strangers streaming in to buy (take) whatever I have in outside ponds... (Guppies, Mollies, Convicts and Blue Gouramies), with a thousand questions on "how" & "what" & "when" etc. etc.

I've only got 2 mediocre pet stores in town who occassionally takes fish from me, but recently been told that they have another guy supplying, and it is clear to see that these fish are from my stocks.....

I do not mind sharing hints on a forum like this, as no-one is really a threat to my hobby upkeep, but should I,... or will you, tell a local everything he needs to do to be on par with you????
 
i dont quite get the question or message, but i hate it when this happens.

Trucka... My point is that I'm equipping these people with all the info they need to set up an establishment on par with mine, and thus losing my regulars as they also supply (around here, it is not common knowledge that some tropicals will survive (and flourish) naturally outside).... If these people sees me doing it, They use anything from empty plastic dustbins to 20 liter buckets to breed their fish in).... Ultimately killing my market.
 
In a different hobby I will willing teach people how to do certain tasks and how to learn more to develop their skills but I am selfish and refuse to teach anyone exactly what I do and how I do it.

In your case I'd be willing to teach people how to look after fish properly and point them in the right direction to further their own knowledge but I would not teach them all the tricks and tips that you have learned through experience.
 
A Bit of a Dilemma you got there Ludwig.

My Advice is do what ever will help you to keep enjoying the hobby you so obviously enjoy . :good:

But DO NOT allow people to take advantage of your kindness

Unfortunately there are always going to be sad horrible people who will take advantage of other peoples good nature :no: It happens day in day out every where in every walk of life.
 
you could sell them one sex of whatever, so they cant under cut your ideas and profit.
 
If you keep progressing they won't catch up. Quality wins every time. Since you are constantly progressing you couldn't tell them everything even if you tried.
 
Indeed - looks like you need to screen off your breeding areas so that competition doesnt see what you do to keep your fish "in the mood for lurve".

A kind person will encourage the good upkeep of "pets". In this case, you sell the fish in good faith as pets, or I guess stock for hoime breeding. (i.e. we all get our stock from somewhere! If my fish breed and I get babes to take to an LFS, then thats the best thing for the fish - but I'm not out to do it for a living.)

I think it would possibly be worthwhile taking a trip to the shops that you supply, explain as you have to us that you believe the fish they are supplied with are coming from your stocks, and explain that you believe they are being bred in unsuitable environments; damaging the health of new arrivals and increasing the chance that the fish the shops are supplied with will be damaged or of ill health.... - (only say so if you believe it truely is the case though).

Certainly, dont explain all you do in order to breed them. Call it a trade secret. Everything for upkeep but nothing for making babies.

I dont know what your setup is like - Are the tanks/ponds on view from the road? Are you secure? - Coz if your fish are this prized as breeders etc then I wouldnt be suprised if they go missing at some point.
 
You also have to take into account that there are probably little things you do that you don't even notice, sort of trying to recall the last time you scratched an itch. It may be insignificant, it may have a small, or even larger part in your breeding success.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top