Behavoir of Koi and Goldfish

living_dead

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has seen this before. Someone dumped a frog into my pond, with out my permission and so on. But i happened to be walking by and noticed that my fish had formed a circle around this frog (1") and my largest koi (14") was moving in on it. It grabbed the frog with its mouth and started to thrash it. I scared them off grabbed the frog and moved him into another pond that I had. But the weird thing is why on earth were the fish pack hunting a frog... It was just abosolulty suprizing to me since they are so kind to eachother. Anyone else seen this sort of activity before? I'm curious if my fish are off their rockers or if its normal?

i think they're mad! Maybe one of the fishies wanted to play with the froggy and then the other fish saw that one playing and they all decided that it looked like fun and that they all wanted to do it ? Ive never seen fish do that. I used to have one koi that like to jump out of the water at night time, i think he was mad :) Frogs used to always appear in my pond, i think they wonder around looking for somewhere new to live.

Great outlook hehe. I've had problems with my koi jumping but have always managed to save the dopes.

While doing my internship in Indiana, I worked at a camp that had a fair sized lake. Many native fish in it but I did see a "flock" of 8 VERY large koi/carp? that would work the bank about the same time every day. They were a pack, hunting for frog and large insects that they would knock off of the over hanging growth. I witnessed many times the type of behavior that you mentioned. Amazing - always made me wonder how long they had been there - obviously some one had turned them loose. Wouldn't surprize me if they are still there 20 years later!

ALASKA

Koi can live to be around 100 as far as I have read.. I'd imagine you could send your great grandkids back to the lake and if nothing catosrophic has happend those fish might still be there doing the same thing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back