Beginner fish emergency

Tentoads

Reaction score
I have a yellow/golden gourami and he is all of the sudden pressing his face against the tank with his mouth wide open and now chasing my fish! Should I be worried? ... idk if I’m posting this right sorry

I'm not sure what size golden gourami you have - I have several dwarf "honey" gourami's and one very large orangish Gourami - no idea what I thought I was ordering. Many of the larger (5"-8") Gourami's are semi-aggressive but my golden/orangish one is not - in fact I removed her from my semi-aggressive tank because she was getting attacked. But depending on the species you have it and it's size it may be rated as semi-aggressive or even peaceful and be responsible for being the "tank bully".

I have no idea why he's pressing his face against the tank with his mouth wide open unless he's at the top of the tank trying to get air. Gourami are air breathers and generally go to the top of the tank to get oxygen periodically - that's even more true if the tank is under oxygenated. Do you have any bubbler stones in the tank along with your filter? How often do you change the water and how much do you change? Water quickly gets depleted of oxygen if it's not changed regularly (preferably 50% or more weekly). Air bubbler stones do add extra oxygen to the tank but not a cure all for not doing regular water changes. Fresh plants in the tank also add oxygen to the water.

As far as chasing other fish - that's pretty normal. Often times the largest fish in the tank (or the most aggressive if this gourami is rated as "semi-aggressive" will try to control all the other fish in the tank.) I have one tank filled with only semi-aggressive larger fish and the 8" fish spends so much time trying to keep all the other fish from eating that the food is nearly gone before he has a chance to eat. They are catching up with him in size and he's getting more and more subdued and less aggressive. The worst thing he does is chase, and do body slams - no biting or nipping of fins or anything really harmful. That is the way of the fish world.

Chasing other fish -especially if he has one singled out - can cause great stress to the other fish to the point that it will kill him but this is really rare. As long as he's not fin nipping/biting then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If most of the aggression happens at feeding time try to place food at multiple places in the tank - that will divide up the fish between the food and prevent all those little food battles that take place. I also feed a lot of tubiflex worms (well hydrated so they don't swell in the fishes stomachs) and hand feed two or three groups while the rest go after the flakes and tablets (if they are ground feeders) - this really has reduced aggression at feeding time.

Chasing in the same species can also be a game - they are racing/playing with each other. So as long as no one individual is singled out and no physical damage is done it's likely harmless.

Post back with a few more details about the size of your tank, number and type and size of fish and the size of the fish tank bully and we can probably answer your questions better.

Too small of a tank or too many fish in a tank can also contribute to aggression- I know that from experience. My semi-aggressive fish really need a much bigger tank and they'd be less possessive and less aggressive.

What species is the gourami? As Jan said there are a few that are yellow/golden. If you don't know, post a photo so we can identify it. Some of the 'yellow' gouramis are peaceful while others can be aggressive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back