Barney And Lyn's 5Ft Reef Tank (150G(Uk) System)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry not got internet access at house yet so not really been on here. We probably need about another 30-40kg of LR but its going to have to wait as we are skint at the moment.

We have had a bit of a nightmare with the fish though. The anthias has a swim bladder infection, the clown fish has whitespot and the damsels have decided to rip each other appart.

The damsels are going back to the LFS as soon as I can get them there (sadly not likelt to happen for about 2 weeks) and the rest are being treated now in a QT with copper (and then with antibacterials as well afterwards if I can get some).

On the plus side the corals are doing great.

Well not much been movement on the tank recently as we have still been unpacking and also it was our little boys birthday (he was 4) and we had his party at the house (so been pretty hectic). The damsels are still in the display tank at the moment but hopefully they will be gone at the weekend.

I did learn one thing last night while setting up the sump and it is worth sharing.

When you have a high power pump and "push on" hose fittings it is best to take the whole lot outside, put it in a bucket of water and test it first. :)

I put the pump into the sump, turned it on and the hose flew off at one of the connectors and the pump shot about 3 gallons of water into the living room and the cabinet!!

Oh gawd, can just imagine what Lyn's face was like :crazy: did the sofa survive and can you still walk (lyn hasn't broken your legs :lol:)

Seffie x

:fish:

lol yeah I moved the sofa right out of the way (thankfully) :) the funny thing is I spilt a little bit of RO water when I was filling it up and when I went to get a towel from the kitchen she said "I hope your not spilling water in there" :)

Im just glad it was just pure RO water and I hadnt put the salt in yet :)

Edit: lol oh yeah we have also flooded the kitchen twice by forgetting to turn the RO unit off as well.... I'm sure lyn might not have been so keen if she knew all the details of keeping a marine tank before we got it :)

This has echos of my marine venture Barney, Went to bed and flooded the garage with RO.
Eheim flexi-pipe decided it no longer wanted to remain part of the closed loop and blew the electrics.
The missus was non too pleased which is why the new build is moving at a slow pace, to give her time to get used to the idea :lol:
Anyway I think its par for the course Barney and Sods Law is gonna have a play in that sooner or later. Even more so with marines than tropicals methinks.
Off to check everything is as it should be
Regards
seahorse1-1-1.png

oh gawd you've got me all worried now. all my flexi pipe is just push on, (haven't got around to getting any clamps yet!)

queue visions of gallons of water over the lounge! :crazy:

lol yeah. Going to have to find some clamps or something for it I think too. I turned it off overnight because I didnt trust it :)

It does seem fairly solid now but I have a 75g sump and the return pump could probably empty it in about 5 minutes so better to be safe than sorry I think :)

Its so nice being a woman into marines, there is no one to shout at you when you spill water or pump water all over the electrics :rofl:

Also Big C, I think you are right, I never had many problems with the tropical tank, still don't (pray that murphy is not listening) but have had so many water and electric tripping incidents with the marine already.

Yeah I have been keeping marines for awhile now and other then the odd minor incedent (fish eating crabs and the odd coral loss) I have never had any major issues. Seems like this new tank is just cursed :)

Anyway. I set the sump up last night (finally) and so far (tocuh wood) its all working ok. It is VERY loud though. I'm going to dig out some filter foam later to stop the pump vibrating and will have to try and fit a durso overflow later on (though this will be extremley difficult). The return pump is probably more powerful than I actually needed. I have it tee'ed off with a valve so half is going back into the sump again. I might use this to power a DIY skimmer as there is a lot of flow there so I might as well use it for something.

I have someone coming to collect the damsels at the weekend and then I have 8 weeks of a tank with no fish in (all in QT now, stupid ich).

I do have a bad case of Cyano again but I think this is mostly due to not having nearly enough flow in there. Hopefully the flow from the sump return will help a lot (as it has removed a massive dead spot on the bottom of the tank where there is no rock). I'm looking for cheap options to increase the water flow as well (currently looking at the resun wavemakers).

Corals are still doing really well except for my bubble coral which never really recovered from being cooked with almost 3 days of constant light and then being moved. Its still opening up but half of it is not opening nearly as much as it used too :( My toadstool leather is massive now though and my mushrooms are growing all over the place. My xenia and GSP are also spreading really quickly.

Anyway I will need to destroy the aqauscape again tonight to get the damsels out and into the sump tank for tomorrow. Once I have rebuilt it I will take some decent photos to put up :)

I might just get some base rock for now as well to help fill the tank a bit more.

After all the hassle with the fish getting whitespot and the damsels turning into pure evil we have had some good luck :)

Managed to pick up 40KG of liverock for £120, got a 2 hour drive to pick it up after work tonight but it should hopefully be enough to finish the tank off :)

Wow that setup looks superb mate and what a bargain! I like the white finish on the tank too!

I will be watching this thread and look forward to more pics :nod:

Yeah this journal has been rather lacking on photos so far. I have only just dug my camera out of the packing boxes and we still dont have an internet connetion yet. I promise I will go back to my picture filled posts soon though :)

After all the hassle with the fish getting whitespot and the damsels turning into pure evil we have had some good luck :)

Managed to pick up 40KG of liverock for £120, got a 2 hour drive to pick it up after work tonight but it should hopefully be enough to finish the tank off :)

That is a major bargain, is there a draw back, aiptaisia or something?

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back