balancing algae/ fertilizer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I can't figure out how much fertilizer to add without cuasing algae to grow like mad. First ,I've been adding enough to keep my wisteria and red tiger lotus happy. But my gravel starts getting algae all over it and my crypts start getting lots of green spot algae. So for the past week i cut the doses of fertilizer a bit. My crypts are still the same, gravel a little better, but you can easily tell my wisteria isnt doing as well. i mean it is still growing very well, but not insanely thriving like before. also, my red tiger lotus leaves started to slowly die.

How did u guys find the balance point?
I dont know what to do
Thanks

I love root feeder plant over all other plants.. I only user watersprite and Java fern to use as much of the nutrience in the water as possible.. If the water sprite is not growing fast as it use to I mostly find that my nitrates is 0ppm. But my root feeder I feed useing root tabs.

This way I have max growth in the tank but a low amount of nutrience for algae to grow..

So when your nitrates are 0, do u add fertilizer? or leave it alone.

maybe not clean the tank for a couple months to let those nitrates shoot up? :rolleyes: :lol:

anyone else? im trying to keep my plants alive, but my gravel is disgustingly covered in algae?

I cant find that perfect point. its always to much algae, or to little fert for my plants...

What's your nitrate reading? The reason why you get algae is :
1) Not enough (or too much) light . Plants don't grow, so algae grows instead.
2) Not engouth CO2. No food, no grow!
3) Wrong type of plant. Slow growing plants will only collect algae.
4) Too much nutrient. Too much nitrate/phosphate promotes algae growth.
5) Too high of temperature. Heat slows down the plants and speeds up algae.

Although, I've probably oversimplified this, but if the plants aren't in optimal condition, the algae will take over. Presence of algae also indicate (more than?) sufficient nutrient levels. An aquarium with moderate stocking of fish probably won't need NPK fertilizer. Well, may be potassium only. If the water is moderate-hard (6dH+), then you probably won't need the trace fertilizers either. You need to make sure that there is at least 5-10mg/L of Nitrate(NO3) available at all times. Don't worry about phosphate(PO4); if you feed fish, it'll provide all the PO4 the plants need.

Just make sure that you have the right type of plant. Just as you can't throw bunch of incompatible fish togather and expect to have a peaceful community tank, you can't throw incompatible plants togather and expect them to do well.

ok, for some reason my nitrate reading are coming in really really low.
last time i vacuumed it was last week, and it looked pretty dirty.

im really confused now.... nitrates are showing up as zero.....
i cycled it earlier this year when i got it, so its been established for a good amount of time.....

why is it zero????

so i just checked ammonia and nitrite and those are zero also......

is it possible to even have this? and i have more fish than needed in a 46g... at least something should go up

i would say there are lots of plants. but not extremely packed.

i have a water wisteria in the corner thats about 8 inches tall now, and maybe7-8 inches in diameter.
i have contortion val in the backmiddle, maybe some 20-30 root systems and growing quick. its pretty new but grows several inches a week.
i have a forest of crypts on the right side between the glass and wood. about 8 inches tall and pretty dense.
and i have chainsword in the foreground but that is doing horrible and all the leaves are turning dark green.....

and i have a new tiger lotus thats growing, plus a small clump of java moss that i just put in a couple days ago

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back