Bala Shark Sitting At Bottom Of Tank Not Moving

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JThorny5150

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong pleace, but I just had a question about one of my bala sharks.  Last week I bought 3 bala sharks, and I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank.  I realize this tank is much too small, but I was misinformed at the pet store as to how much water they need, and I am going to get a bigger tank as soon as I can afford it.  Last night, one of them began sitting at the bottom of the tank behind a fake plant and not moving.  I didn't think anything of it, and decided to see how he was doing this morning.  This morning he was in the same place, so I tried to scoop him up with a net to see if he was dead.  When I did this he began swimming away and all around the tank.  He swam around with the other two for a few minutes after this, but eventually he went back to the same spot and just sat there not moving.  I repeated the same thing, and the same thing happened every time.  I have noticed that the other two fish will go over and nudge him a little bit, to try to get him moving I guess, but he will just stay there.  Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I could do to help please?

If you were ill informed about stocking I presume you were ill informed about cycling your tank too?

I may be wrong though...

okay usualy questions,

is this a clycled tank?

have you a test kit and post the results

also yes you are correct bala sharks if i am correct need nearly 600L even more i think

he maybe stressed due to the size of the tank or it being un cycled and parameters wrong

you need to test for Ammonia Nitrite and nitrate :)

hope this has helped

Joshwainwright said:
If you were ill informed about stocking I presume you were ill informed about cycling your tank too?

I may be wrong though...
What do you mean by cycling? I'm sorry, I'm very new to this and I really didn't do proper research before getting fish.  I currently have a filter running in the tank though that says its good for up to 20 gallon tanks if that's what you mean?

Zikofski said:
okay usualy questions,

is this a clycled tank?

have you a test kit and post the results

also yes you are correct bala sharks if i am correct need nearly 600L even more i think

he maybe stressed due to the size of the tank or it being un cycled and parameters wrong

you need to test for Ammonia Nitrite and nitrate
smile.png

hope this has helped
I do not have a test kit but how could I get one?

I reccommend you read the beginners resource section of the forum, there's a lot more to tropical fish than you currently think there is ;)

It's all good once you get properly in to it thought!

yes okay cycling, the tank needs to be cycled as in the filter that is in the tank has the bacteria in order to support the fish, effectively fish poop, that crates ammonia, then bacteria turn that ammonia into nitrite and then bacteria turn that nitrite into nitrate, not Nitrite and ammonia are VERY poisonous to the fish fish will and can die within hours if the tank is not cycled  depending on the fish.

i recommend doing a near to 100% water change and to take out the poisonous ammonia and nitrite get a test kit if you want to stay in fish keeping highly recommend it. and i would take back the bala sharks if you can :D

Joshwainwright said:
I reccommend you read the beginners resource section of the forum, there's a lot more to tropical fish than you currently think there is
wink.png

It's all good once you get properly in to it thought!
I will go read that now, thank you for the help! I look forward to learning more about fish and getting more in the future.

With the greatest respect, it doesn't sound like you have much of an idea about what you are doing. I suggest you have a look here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ paying particular attention to the cycling sections.

Your tank is far too small for these fish so you either need to get s bigger tank or take them back.

Test kits can be bought from your LFS and since you haven't got one I suggest you carry out a 50% water change immediately and then 25-30% changes every day for the immediate future.

Get yourself a test kit quickly and keep your fingers crossed for your fish.

Zikofski said:
yes okay cycling, the tank needs to be cycled as in the filter that is in the tank has the bacteria in order to support the fish, effectively fish poop, that crates ammonia, then bacteria turn that ammonia into nitrite and then bacteria turn that nitrite into nitrate, not Nitrite and ammonia are VERY poisonous to the fish fish will and can die within hours if the tank is not cycled  depending on the fish.

i recommend doing a near to 100% water change and to take out the poisonous ammonia and nitrite get a test kit if you want to stay in fish keeping highly recommend it. and i would take back the bala sharks if you can
biggrin.png
Well I've already changed the water completely and added water conditioner that was supposed to help, and the filter is running constantly.  Since I've done this he has been moving around more with the other fish so I think that may have solved it.  I will take them back if it is necessary, but I am planning on getting a bigger tank so I hope to keep them.

i agree with josh it is amazing once you get into it :) starting is always the hard part, and we all make these mistakes don't worry i put clown loaches and red tail sharks in a 10gal tank too :p

if its one thing to do is research the fish you want to get first on this website :) google what ever :) makes your life a lot easier :D welcome to the forum btw and hope you enjoy fish keeping in the long run :D

take the fish back to the store as soon as possible, they are currently experiencing a slow and painful death, they will not likely live another week or two in an un-cycled tank

cycle the tank for 4-6 weeks, use this time to educate yourself on the basics of fishkeeping, cycling and tank maintanance

also do research on which fish are compatible and suitable for a 10 gallon tank

Agree with all the above. All great information, hope you get it sorted.

Hope you know those 3 bala sharks need AT LEAST a 300 Gallon tank. They can grow up to a foot or more. Take them back to the LFS tell them about it. If theyre a good pet store they'll let you exchange the fish for something else if its past the return date. But i suggest not getting a fish until 4-6 weeks and make sure to buy a test kit. Something today like this happened at my LFS. The people bought a 10g had the tank in their cart. And proceeded to buy a common pleco even after the worker saw the tank in the peoples cart. The store shouldnt even sell common plecos cause i bet only a handful of people nearby this store have a tank big enough for these guys.

NorthEastFisherman said:
Something today like this happened at my LFS. The people bought a 10g had the tank in their cart. And proceeded to buy a common pleco even after the worker saw the tank in the peoples cart. The store shouldnt even sell common plecos cause i bet only a handful of people nearby this store have a tank big enough for these guys.
I think it's just a case of some employees not knowing what they're doing, then if they do know they are just selling the fish as they feel they would get in trouble if they didn't. It's a shame though :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back