Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

More pictures! Happy rasboras and loaches!
rasboras and zippers.JPG

The zipper loach easy chair!

cuneovirgata.JPG

Wow, tank looks great Tom! Loving the moss you have in between the bricks, what kind is it? Saw the zipper loaches at TWS too, very cute and they fit the tank perfectly.

What a wonderful world you have created. I will never be able to look at rice the same way, and that is a good thing! :)
Thank you! It's fun to think that these plants and animals all grow naturally up against a wall in a rice field. It makes me happy.
Wow, tank looks great Tom! Loving the moss you have in between the bricks, what kind is it? Saw the zipper loaches at TWS too, very cute and they fit the tank perfectly.
Thanks, Nat! It's Christmas moss, with Java moss up above. The zippers are so cute.

The bubble nest was dissolved this morning, so I'm guessing breeding was not successful. I'm sure they'll try again. In the meantime, peace can reign in the rice paddy. :)

The bubble nest was dissolved this morning, so I'm guessing breeding was not successful. I'm sure they'll try again. In the meantime, peace can reign in the rice paddy. :)
Ah, that’s a shame. :( Hope he makes another one and they start breeding!

Still can't get this rice to grow robustly. Maybe it has to get bit before it can grow in water this deep. Might have to try sedges or something that will look close enough, but actually grow. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with how it's coming along.

You don't plant rice in water until the plants are 12 inches long otherwise they drown.

Haven't you ever watched people in rice fields planting out rice plants. The plants are grown in soil until they reach a certain size, then transplanted into the wet fields. It's really bad for your back

Haven't you ever watched people in rice fields planting out rice plants. The plants are grown in soil until they reach a certain size, then transplanted into the wet fields. It's really bad for your back
I live in Wyoming. That's kind of like me asking you if you've ever shoveled snow. ha ha :p I've seen videos of it and such, but other than that it's all new to me. Somebody else told me that the seeds grow best in 6" of water. Try, try again...

Time to start an official journal on this project. I'm going to custom-build a tank to fit on the back of the desk in my music studio, and I just ordered the glass. It should be ready to construct in about a week. I've been kicking around this idea for several months and it's exciting to finally commit.

So, here's the plan.
Tank: 36"x10" x10". The water will be about 6" deep, with 2" for substrate and 2" for emergent plants. The lid will have four 2x3" holes for rice plants to grow through. This will be a walstad-style setup, with no filtration except the plants and substrate microbes. A very small powerhead will push the water around. I'm going to put a fluval aquasky light on top with a 5 on, 2 off, 5 on light cycle.

Plants:
Dwarf rice (Oryza sativa)
Paddy herb (Limnophila aromatica)
Assorted crypts (planning to try balansae, wendtii, and parva and see what does well)
Christmas moss (Vesicularia montagnei) on back wall
Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) or dwarf arum (Zantedeschia aethiopica) to simulate taro, which is commonly grown in Malaysia paddies

Critters:
2 Betta imbellus
15 or 20 blue rasboras (Sundadanio axelrodi or Sundadanio goblinus, depending on whom you ask)
15 or 20 dwarf rasboras (Boraras maculatus)
6 shadow catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus) or 5 kuhli loaches. Still up in the air which.
Malaysian trumpet snails
Ramshorn snails

Lots of inverts: Scuds, water fleas, assorted worms, seed shrimp. I am going to build an invert refugium for an ongoing supply, but I am hoping to achieve something like a predator/prey balance in this tank.

Timeline
Early January: Get the tank built.
February: Add substrate, water, plants, silent cycle, build invert community. I am hoping a lot of inverts will come in on the plants. I will intentionally add others.
April or May: Add fish.

Well, that's enough for now. Stay tuned.
Thomas
This sounds really exciting!

Looking forward to your online diary of your progress.

Still can't get this rice to grow robustly. Maybe it has to get bit before it can grow in water this deep. Might have to try sedges or something that will look close enough, but actually grow. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with how it's coming along.

That looks really good!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back