Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dang Tom, always trying things super outside of the box! I knew I wouldnā€™t be disappointed when I hopped over to see what youā€™ve been up to. Very interesting concept!

I havenā€™t read through the entire journal. Kind of skipped around here and there and watched the latest vid. Are you growing marsilea in there?

Dang Tom, always trying things super outside of the box! I knew I wouldnā€™t be disappointed when I hopped over to see what youā€™ve been up to. Very interesting concept!

I havenā€™t read through the entire journal. Kind of skipped around here and there and watched the latest vid. Are you growing marsilea in there?
Thanks! Can't let it get boring, can I? ha ha

Yep, clover fern, though I've learned it loses its clover shape growing submerged. This stuff took over two months to take on its submerged form, but once it did there's no stopping it. One of only two "carpet" plants that I've ever actually been able to make a carpet with in a low-tech tank. (the other is dwarf sag)

The other big aha with this tank has been this plant called "paddy herb" (Limnophila aromatica). It's that blob of junk growing over on the right side. I found it while researching "rice paddy weeds." Really interesting leaf shape, very colorful, and dead easy to grow in a lot tech tank. AND it's edible--they use it in SE Asia to season (you guessed it) rice soups. Why isn't everybody using this stuff??? One of life's mysteries.

Andre, you might be interested to know, this is a true Walstad tank. No filter! Just a very small pump running through a buried pipe so the water circulates thoroughly but very slowly. Dirt substrate, a heater and light, fairly low stocking, and lots and lots of plants.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to read this thread for a while now and I just got around to doing so. It's a very interesting tank and it was looking great when you last updated.

One thing that I had in mind through almost the entire thread, and I apologise if I missed it, was a plant that I love and I think would fit the theme. It's called Murdannia Keisak and often grows in Asian rice paddies.

I've been meaning to read this thread for a while now and I just got around to doing so. It's a very interesting tank and it was looking great when you last updated.

One thing that I had in mind through almost the entire thread, and I apologise if I missed it, was a plant that I love and I think would fit the theme. It's called Murdannia Keisak and often grows in Asian rice paddies.
Oooooh, that looks very nice. I still can't get the rice to grow in this tank (and I don't have the time or patience to grow it properly as @Colin_T keeps instructing me); perhaps this would be an acceptable substitute. Thanks for the tip!

I think I'm going to have to add a few amano shrimp. I'm getting lots and lots of filamentous algae, and it seems like a shame not to have something that will enjoy it! I know there are freshwater shrimp in Sumatra, not amanos, but the real ones aren't available in the USA. So we'll probably have to call it close enough.

Big news:
I have a baby Betta imbellus! It keeps disappearing into the weeds before I can grab a camera, so no pics. But we all saw it, so I know I'm not hallucinating.

Out of the other tank denisons: I'm down to five microrasboras. All the blues seem to have died--I think my pH was too high. I feel very bad about this, as I think they were wild-caught and I was hoping to establish a breeding group. The maculatus that remain all look robust and healthy, so I think they're in it for the long haul.

I added a bunch of amano shrimp. They don't live in Sumatra, of course. There are similar species that do, but they are impossible to procure here, so we'll say close enough. Going to try to get some more scuds soon, too.

The zipper loaches are fun. They normally stay out of sight, so seeing them is a treat. As I type this, I've seen four of the original five. They're out and about scrounging for something to eat because I was messing around in the substrate.

I am an utter failure as a rice farmer. One of my original plants is still alive. I replaced the rest with aquatic sedges I dug up on the mountain. If they don't make it long-term, I might just replace them with bamboo garden canes or something. But so far so good.

Big news:
I have a baby Betta imbellus! It keeps disappearing into the weeds before I can grab a camera, so no pics. But we all saw it, so I know I'm not hallucinating.

Out of the other tank denisons: I'm down to five microrasboras. All the blues seem to have died--I think my pH was too high. I feel very bad about this, as I think they were wild-caught and I was hoping to establish a breeding group. The maculatus that remain all look robust and healthy, so I think they're in it for the long haul.

I added a bunch of amano shrimp. They don't live in Sumatra, of course. There are similar species that do, but they are impossible to procure here, so we'll say close enough. Going to try to get some more scuds soon, too.

The zipper loaches are fun. They normally stay out of sight, so seeing them is a treat. As I type this, I've seen four of the original five. They're out and about scrounging for something to eat because I was messing around in the substrate.

I am an utter failure as a rice farmer. One of my original plants is still alive. I replaced the rest with aquatic sedges I dug up on the mountain. If they don't make it long-term, I might just replace them with bamboo garden canes or something. But so far so good.
Sorry about the blues, but congrats on the betta fry, very cool

Guess you should have fertilized with human excrement (I kid, please don't do that.)

I was telling my dad about this project. He spent some time in SE Asia and Taiwan back in his air force days. He said it wasn't really authentic unless I fertilize it the way the farmers in southeast Asia do it.
200.gif

Big news:

Congratulations!

If there was any way to attach a tiny bonnet to your baby I would be knitting frantically at this very moment.

I love baby things!

Big news:

Well congrats Tom on the new imbellus šŸ‘. Sorry about the blues, they all died on my Sis too and the pH was the issue. They like it low 5.8-6 if I remember correctly. Also sorry about the rice plants. I do see that alternative murdannia keisak for sale here, not to bad price wise although they are invasive in US so you may be able to find some in local waters.
https://www.aquariumplantsfactory.c...4&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

Good luck with the baby, the sedges and the remaining bamboo. Also happy 4th to you and your family šŸŽ†šŸŽ‡

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back