Bad advice in the "Betta Care" thread...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So, I was really really, REALLY bored and decided I should read the bettas care guide we have here... Now imma just cut straight to the point and say that by the looks of what I was reading, they basically say we can keep a bettas in a 1-2.5 gallon tank if were keeping up with maintenance... Thats kinda going against everything we normally teach here... Just recommending we change it a bit

Most Bettas are kept in 1/2 gallon containers or jars for most of their lives. These fish have a labyrinth so can easily handle confined spaces.

So, I was really really, REALLY bored and decided I should read the bettas care guide we have here... Now imma just cut straight to the point and say that by the looks of what I was reading, they basically say we can keep a bettas in a 1-2.5 gallon tank if were keeping up with maintenance... Thats kinda going against everything we normally teach here... Just recommending we change it a bit
Didn’t realize it was that outdated. The research paper I did has all the correct info:

Most Bettas are kept in 1/2 gallon containers or jars for most of their lives. These fish have a labyrinth so can easily handle confined spaces.
This is completely wrong. They still need space and proper filtration.

They shouldnt be though. 10 gallons is perfect size, 5 gallons is bare minimum

On this site there is always discussion about giving fish what they want because they are genetically weird for different environments and habitats. You talk about Cory's having to be on sand and Tetras in schools of ten or more. Bettas are genetically weird to fight, but you keep them separated from each other. I think the minimum size tank to keep Bettas is 200 liters, two fish in the tank, and then if they want to fight, they can. But they have room to get away from each other. That way they will be a lot happier.

On this site there is always discussion about giving fish what they want because they are genetically weird for different environments and habitats. You talk about Cory's having to be on sand and Tetras in schools of ten or more. Bettas are genetically weird to fight, but you keep them separated from each other. I think the minimum size tank to keep Bettas is 200 liters, two fish in the tank, and then if they want to fight, they can. But they have room to get away from each other. That way they will be a lot happier.
interesting idea. Ive never heard that before.

There is a huge difference between what a fish can tolerate/manage with to exist, and what it must have for its wellbeing. Any aquarist who is not willing to do the research on the fish and provide the best environment under the circumstances has no business being in the hobby.

Fish happiness is totally unmeasurable because we cannot talk to the fish. Happiness has nothing to do with it anyway. The issue is what the fish requires to function normally for the species, and we do know that providing this will mean healthier fish, that is not even debatable.

Have you ever seen them fight? It's absolutely horrible. They lock jaws and aggressively shake and twist each other until one is too injured to continue or dead. Fights are violent and the fish are determined. Fins are ripped to shreds, bodies bruised, scales torn off. The domesticated bettas were originally bred for fighting for centuries and unfortunately in some countries this practice still continues.
I can't see how keeping 2 males in any tank would make both happy fish.😕

Have you ever seen them fight? It's absolutely horrible. They lock jaws and aggressively shake and twist each other until one is too injured to continue or dead. Fights are violent and the fish are determined. Fins are ripped to shreds, bodies bruised, scales torn off. The domesticated bettas were originally bred for fighting for centuries and unfortunately in some countries this practice still continues.
Maybe in a super large and heavily (when I say heavily I mean tons and tons of plants) planted tank. And you have 2 males and a lot of females it could work (maybe). Totally don't recommend it but it may work

Don't most betta breeders in SE Asia keep the bettas in halved water bottles once they've matured? Of course they do daily water changes and they probably try to sell them shortly after they've matured.

Here's an interesting video about betta breeding

Thats the whole point that is what they want to do, just imagine how happy the winning fish will feel. There are a lot of people here that are particular about giving their fish what they need, but then advise to keep a Betta in a box by itself, I don't think that is fear on the Betta.

Thats the whole point that is what they want to do, just imagine how happy the winning fish will feel. There are a lot of people here that are particular about giving their fish what they need, but then advise to keep a Betta in a box by itself, I don't think that is fear on the Betta.
Ya crossed the line there. The winning fish doesn’t feel “victorious” or “happy”, he was just trying to survive. It’s just like gladiators that were forced to fight each other to death. I’m 99% sure they were just relieved to live another day

Ya crossed the line there. The winning fish doesn’t feel “victorious” or “happy”, he was just trying to survive. It’s just like gladiators that were forced to fight each other to death. I’m 99% sure they were just relieved to live another day
Yah... It doesnt feel victorious it may feel really stressed though and get a lot of war wounds that can eventually kill the betta... So to me that is a VERY irresponsible fish keeper if they did that, as they know very well what could happen

Forcing two male betta to fight is inhumane cruelty. Both fish see themselves in a fight or die scenario, and that is severe stress. In nature they would be able to challenge, likely try physical combat (or not), then one would most likely retreat out of harm's way. Or at the very least be able to escape until he decided to try his luck again. This is not possible in an aquarium.

The same holds for those keeping multiple high-aggressive cichlid species, or gourami, in tanks that are much too small. It is all well and good to claim "natural" behaviours, but this means understanding all the aspects of the natural behaviours including the number of fish and the size of the habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back