Back from holiday

dwarfgourami

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Whew! Came back last night after a week away with no fishsitter, dreading to see the state of the tanks.

What I did before going was:

In the 70 ltrs (5 corys) put King British catfish pellets in a Hagen 2x automatic feeder (feeds twice daily), on the lowest dose.

In the 60 ltrs (3 guppies, 3 platies) put in 3 Tetra holiday sticks.

Did 30% water change before I left. Lights in both tanks are on automatic timers.

On coming back all fish looked fine. One platy was a little bit fatter than before and one a little bit thinner (so presumably she didn't like the tetra sticks). The ammonia and nitrites were fine, only the smallest trace of ammonia in one tank, but closer to 0 than to 0.25.

Both tanks were dirtier than usual though, more guck came out when I changed the water. Some brown algae in the livebearer tank. Clear signs of overfeeding in the cory tank= lots of brown algae and some patches of blue-green on the bogwood. TBH I don't think it's that the feeder overdoses; it's more that my cats really don't like those pellets (tried handfeeding them before I went away and not much got eaten then).

Did a 30% water change this morning and will do another one in a few days time.

The greatest cost I believe was to my nerves rather than my fish's health; next time I will definitely try hard and start well in advance to get someone to come in. And we won't finish stocking until after the summer hols; were going to round off with a pair of dwarf gouramis.

Oh, and this morning the cat's pump packed up and had to be taken apart and put together again!

you got lucky with that filter tehn at leats you were home!, and well done on teh fish survving

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back