Back After A Few Years Away - A Few Questions :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaronc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All!!

After a few years away from the hobby, I am busy plotting my return :)

I had to get rid of my tank and all of my kit when I moved apartments 3 years ago, was gutted.

Moving to a new place in May and plan to treat myself to a moving in present in the form of a new tank.

I want to go down the High Tech planted route again and was hoping you guys could help with a few questions, and sense check my thinking.

Tank
Juwel RIo 125 - Just love these tanks
Will potentially replace the power head with the 1000lph model, as opposed to the 600lph that it comes with

Lighting
Comes with 2 28w T5s - I am thinning of adding a ballast for 2 more - wise move?

Co2
Will be using a CO2 regulator and fire extinguisher.  Can anyone recommend a regulator? Like the look of http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/easy-aqua-twin-guage-regulatorsolenoid-p-6179.html

Plants
Not put a huge amount of thought into this yet.  I know there are some I would like to include
- Riccia
- HC
- A few Cyrpts

I know HC and Riccia will need high light and Co2

Substrate
I was thinking of using http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tropica-plant-growth-substrate-25l-p-6292.html
Topped off with a few inches of fine gravel.  I like to have an area of sand for the corys to dig in, even though it can be a nightmare to maintain.

Fish
We are planning to stock with
7 Blue Dwarf Rainbow
5 Corys
5 Ottos for Algae Duty
10-12 Neon Tetra

All of this I am fairly comfortable with, and it is not new ground.  The main change I can see from the forums in my time away seems to be dosing of ferts.

I used estimative index dosing, a bit complicated to start with but once you had your head around it, very easy.

From what I can tell, this has failen out of favour?  So how are people dosing now, all liquid based pre-made ferts?

What are people using, how often is it dosed, is it as good or better than EI?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Aaron

Go with some higher flow, above 1300lph.

Lighting it comes with will grow almost anything anyway.

Save yourself some money on the reg, I have 2 of these and they're awesome. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Regulator-Solenoid-Aquarium-Home-Brew-Carbon-Dioxide-/300867339399?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item460d174487

The HC will grow under the standard lighting but if you want to add more its up to you.

If you want some simple ferts then Aqua Essentials Neutro + is awesome stuff but EI is still popular.

Hope this helps.

Steve

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for that great feedback Steve

I like the look of that regulator, will order one of those instead.

So it might be worth me holding off of the lighting upgrade to start with? Does anyone else have one of these tanks with the T5? Is 2 T5s and reflectors good enough for all plants.

I understand the WPG principle is not as relevant when it comes to T5 bulbs?

As I understand the highest flow rate I can install in the internal Juwel filter is 1000lph, the 1500lph is not interchangeable with the Rio125, will do some more digging.

If I can't get a larger pump and it causes issues I would perhaps look to get an external. 

Any more feedback would be very welcome

Thanks
Aaron

Yeah hold fire on the lighting, I grew HC very compact and a nice carpet under the equivalent of 1.4WPG of T8 with good flow and nutrients. 

An external filter or the one you mentioned and a koralia would do.

Hey all

Has anyone got any thoughts about the substrate?

With the AE neutro + is that the only thing I need to dose? Does it require the 50% water changes of EI

Aaron

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back