Babys!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ajbettle

Fish Addict
Reaction score
right iv got a new 6g (uk) and iv added 2 corys (4 moment), now i looked at side of glas and there was loads of tiny tiny babys stuck to the side, and a couple occasionally swimming off and getting sucked in the filter :-(
but i do have black phantom tetras in and i dont think its them...
if its the corys how cud they breed so kwik? maybe they were pregnent at the shop?

anyway theres loads of dead ones on the bottom, but iv noticed the corys dont eat there young...

so do u think its the corys or tetras....and were they preg. at shop?

the babys are see threw with to black eyes and stick to the glass

(which is y i think its corys coz they lay eggs on glass) :good: thanks ever1, i want to save them, but....

cory babies spend their time on the bottom like the adults do. they are mini replica's of their parents.

well yeah if it's not the cories and it can't really be the lone gourami

i havent added the gourami.......iv noiced that all the black phantoms tails are missing......but the corys are ok eating bloodworms that are left over...is it coz there not the hardiest of fish and its not fully cycled, they have been nipping each other over spaces tho??

iv noiced that all the black phantoms tails are missing......but the corys are ok eating bloodworms that are left over...is it coz there not the hardiest of fish and its not fully cycled, they have been nipping each other over spaces tho??

well it's the tetra nipping each other probably as their not in a big enough group. are you feeding the cories their own food or just letting them eat scraps. if you knew they were not the hardiest fish why did you cycle your tank with them and why cycle your tank with all those fish?

No its because you have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many fish in your tank.

i only haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave 4 tetras and toooooooooo corys
the coys get bloodworms that i feed in tube o bottom actually, they cant live on scraps

Let's sort a few basic concepts out:

Firstly, corys, gouramis and tetras are all egglaying fish. This means the only way fry can appear is if a female lays eggs which are then fertilised by the male. There is no way a female can be pregnant from the shop. That can only happen with livebearing fish.

Secondly, yes, the tank is indeed overstocked. The missing tails is a sign either that the fish are stressed and nipping or that they are suffering from finrot=water problems. The latter would explain why the fry are dying. Anyway, as soon as you see dead fry, you should suck them out, to keep the water from going foul.

ok, im cleaning tommorow.

dwarf gourami, u advise a stocking..please - (not a betta)

im keeping the corys, but it dont look like the tetras will pull threw : . (

been researching and foud this just to prove that cherry barbs can be kept in pairs:

QOUTED FROM "TIMS TROPICALS"

The Cherry Barb is a good choice for beginners. It comes from Sri Lanka. It is much more peaceful, slower and smaller than other barbs. As it matures, it develops its cherry color. Males turn a bright fire red when ready to breed. Cherry Barbs don't school, so keeping a pair is fine, although they will enjoy the company of their own kind. They eat standard flake foods and freeze dried blood worms.

so im thinking of getting them as there colourful, but are they hardy?

- 2 schwartz corys = 4 inches (2 inch each)
- 3 guppys (males) = 3 inches (1.1 - 3cm each)
- 4 Cherry barbs = 6 inches ( 1.5 inch each)
- total: 9 fish = 13 inches (so is thaT OK??)

no, you cant get the guppies, 5 guppies are minimum if theyre all males or one will get bullied.

Cories need too be in groups of 3 or theyll be unhappy.

Cherry barbs may nip the guppies long fins. Also, some sites do not bear the correct information.

how about 3 corys (but these may be too bg at 2.5 inches for your small dimentioned tank) and a honey gourami?

tetras are to active for a 6g do you have anywhere else you can keep your cories as they may get to big for a 6g and use it for a dwarf puffer or something

Hi,

You should be aiming for 6 inches of adult size fish since the tank is only 6 gallons. That makes it fully stocked with just 2 corys and the gourami.

Emma -_-

Most reactions

trending

Back