baby swordtails all seem to be female

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
hi, i've had baby swordtails for 5 months or more now, and they all never grew their tails and all seem to be female
is this an issue or just luck?

For 4 years all i got was female off springs (or off springs that appeared to be females); but when my male was about to die i got a single male. Vaguely i believe that male off springs will not fully develop while a male is in the tank - allowing them to appear as females; though i suppose this depends on the size of the tank.

For 4 years all i got was female off springs (or off springs that appeared to be females); but when my male was about to die i got a single male. Vaguely i believe that male off springs will not fully develop while a male is in the tank - allowing them to appear as females; though i suppose this depends on the size of the tank.
ohh i get it
i'll let them do their thing then
i have a 75g if that matters

Pictures of the fry?

How big are the fry?
They should be sexually mature at 5 months if they were fed well. However, they might be stunted if they didn't get enough food or were kept in cool water.

Sometimes you get mostly males or mostly females but they could be young males that haven't become sexually mature yet. then they look like females until they hit puberty and change.

Swordtails and platies can mature early, average and late. Even after a year of age. But yes, a total batch of females or males isn't rare. It does happen as well. Actually, there's nothing much to say about it. This also happens in other ovoviviparous livebearers but all Xiphophorus species (where swordtails and platies belong to) are known for it that the age of reaching adulthood, can differ a lot per individual specimen.
And if they're all actual females, it will still be the question if they're all XX females or not. For only XX females will remain female when it comes to platies and a serious number of fancy swordtails (if that specific fancy strain were derived from platy x swordtail). When they're pure swordtail, it depends when we're dealing with XX females, wether the allele combination of the autosomal locus are AA or Aa. AA females remain female and Aa females can change sex.
So, when we're dealing with females that can genetically change into male (whatever platy or swordtail), the age when that happens differ per individual specimen. Which means, that they can also change sex after a few years (if your specimen lives that long).

Late males will develop because of different extern triggers. Most known is that there's too much suppression of too dominant males present. But late males also have never shown a gravid spot to start with. And they're always bigger (longer and more ferm build) than an average sized male.

Swordtails and platies can mature early, average and late. Even after a year of age. But yes, a total batch of females or males isn't rare. It does happen well. Actually, there's nothing much to say about it. This also happens in other ovoviviparous livebearers but all Xiphophorus species (where swordtails and platies belong to) are known for it that the age of reaching adulthood, can differ a lot per individual specimen.
And if they're all actual females, it will still be the question if they're all XX females or not. For only XX females will remain female when it comes to platies and a serious number of fancy swordtails (if that specific fancy strain were derived from platy x swordtail). When they're pure swordtail, it depends when we're dealing with XX females, wether the allele combination of the autosomal locus are AA or Aa. AA females remain female and Aa females can change sex.
So, when we're dealing with females that can genetically change into male (whatever platy or swordtail), the age when that happens differ per individual specimen. Which means, that they can also change sex after a few years (if your specimen lives that long).

Late males will develop because of different extern triggers. Most known is that there's too much suppression of too dominant males present. But late males also have never shown a gravid spot to start with. And they're always bigger (longer and more ferm build) than an average sized male.
Thank you, they are very vibrant and active
image.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back