baby fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have about 20 molly fry and a bunch of cory fry who are 2 months old now. They are all big enough to be given to my LFS and I need to give them to my LFS soon so I have room for the other 61 molly fry I collected a few days ago. I have just grown so attached to each of them and I feel so bad giving them away now. Any tips on how to not feel bad about giving them to my LFS?

Aaaww, I felt the same way when I took my first batches to the LFS. I would have kept them all if I could, and it felt like abandoning them.

I just reminded myself that I couldn't house all of them, and trusted that they'd find homes with people that love them too. You know you won't be able to have tank space for all of them, so keeping them wouldn't give them a good life, but you raised them to be healthy little adult fish who will go to new homes, so you've already done your very best for them :wub:

Just know that giving them away to your LFS, means someday they will have a great home. And thing about this: IF you kept them in an overpopulated tank, they would be unhappy. :)

I still feel awful giving them away. I want them to live a healthy happy life and I know I don't have the adequate room to give them that but I'm so afraid someone is going to buy them from my LFS and put them in an uncycled, overstocked tank. For the cory fry I'm afraid they will be kept alone on sharp gravel and than the person will lose interest and either flush them or just let them die. Or they will be fed low quality bad food. Or they will get sick at my LFS and possibly die. Ughhh I don't know why I'm so worried about this. I just can't stand the thought of any of the sweet little fish being kept in poor unhealthy conditions.

I thought about that but I thought it would be kind of rude for me to question them and ask if they had a cycled tank, what they're GH was, what substrate they will have, what the tank mates were, how long they have been in the hobby, if they have had these fish before, and some other questions.

I'm also not sure where I should post about them or if my parents would allow me to post a sale ad for them

I thought about that but I thought it would be kind of rude for me to question them and ask if they had a cycled tank, what they're GH was, what substrate they will have, what the tank mates were, how long they have been in the hobby, if they have had these fish before, and some other questions.

I'm also not sure where I should post about them or if my parents would allow me to post a sale ad for them
What if you ask your parents to help you set up an ad, in the ad say if interested to please message with the following info and your current tank set up. That way you're only likely to get people who are seriously interested contacting you

Craigslist is reliable, used it to sell one of my pugs puppies. He found a great home :)

I use kijiji, like Craigslist but in canada.

I usually write up the general care expected for them. And I offer bulk discounts, especially for the cories. Example, my trilineatus i sold $4 each but did a bulk discount for $20 for 6 and people chose the discount groups over singletons. Also let the buyers know they were welcome at any time to message for questions or concerns if they had any at any point too.

You will worry, and hope they go to good homes, but by listing them yourself you can be a little more choosy. You can educate and have limitations in your ad without being a nosy jerk :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back