Baby Blue Tit.

if they are small feed them whole if your using meal worms they should be able to down small ones of those as well

just stay away from anything that insnt an insect or spider like fruit etc

good luck :)
scot

Well their not doing to good.
The one with the broken leg is actually doing better than the other one. It's partially using the leg and it's eating and moving abit more. The other one is in my hands and isn't opening it's eyes, eating or moving except breathing. It feels abit cold but we are in the warmest room in the house and i'm sort of sweating.

Alessa x.

Why dont you take him to a qualified vet? Im sure you are taking good care of them, but at the end of the day, as said before they are wild animals not pets.

We can't go until tomorrow. Even then it depends whether my mums money goes into the bank because we are really short on cash.

Alessa x.

Look wether you have money is not the concern of the birds if they make it till tommoz take them to the vet and let them take care of them, then they may just put them to sleep it could be the best thing for them or hand rear them correctly they rarely charge for wild animals ring around

scot :)

I meant the vet closest to us doesn't take wild animals in and the next closest is 2 bus rides away! :crazy: My mum might not be able to get down there unless her money goes in tonight!

Alessa x.

Unfortunately the one with use of both legs has died.

Alessa x.

So the other one has perked up since the first one died.

Alessa x.

Both pip and squeak died last night. I'm upset but it happens.

Alessa x.

aww :(

if this has happened before ( you`ve found a baby bird) then maybe it would be useful to get hold of some numbers of local charities etc that could give you some help and advice in such a situation should it happen again.. just keep them handy and next time the bird may have a better chance as you`ll be prepared :)
shelagh xx

at least you tried hand rearing isnt easy at the best of times, bless ya for trying though
I also agree with shelaugh :good:
regards scot :)

Yeah we have the RSPCA and RSPB numbers. (I think it's RSPB?)
We have rescued a baby sparrow till it was ready to fly off but it died that morning. My mum says "I should start collecting tins and boxes for every spring so that, when you rescue a baby bird you have something to put it in to bury it if it dies". I have something for Pip and Squeak and they are getting buried under a concrete slab so foxes can't dig them up. I am having a plant pot with a special plant in it for them.
Thanks for trying to help me but i guess the fall might have been abit much for them.

Alessa x.

you should have given them to the rspca, they wouldn't ask for money, they would have taken them in

Alessa, sorry to hear this. However as I'm a very keen wildlife spotter, birdwatcher and wildlife photographer I've heard an experienced this before. We have to accept that with natural breeding of birds that some chicks may not survive. Sometimes happily the entire brood survives but sometimes, sadly, the whole brood can die before fledging (leaving the nest). This can be caused by many reasons, predators such as magpies and Jays or crows can attack the chicks and kill/scare away the parents. It's common for the predators to drag the nestlings from their nest and until they can fly but once they are badly injured there is almost no hope. Even if the parents stay and defend the nest they can't do much about an injured chick which can't fly. It could also be that these that died were simply nestlings that were part of a brood that had already fledged but those 3 were ill and unable to fly- therefore falling from the nest to thw ground where their injuries would get worse. I noticed the pictures of them in your house, I definitely wouldn't have brought them into the house. I would have put them in an outdoors place such as in an open shed or garage so that they could fly if they wanted to. You made a mistake by feeding them milk and bread, mealworms and small insects would have been the best bet. Obviously you wanted to help, if this happens again at least you'll know what to feed them. You can't use the excuse of
money, it costs nothing to get a few insects from the garden. By all means, if you find chicks on the ground which look ill or are unable to fly then wait a few hours watching from a good distance away (make sure they're not baby Tawny Owl because it is common for them to be found on the ground where their parents DO rescue them). Don't bother calling the RSPCA, they tell you to take it to the vets who nearly always put them down straight away. If you know anyone who has an aviary then this is the best bet for the survival of the birds, although do accept that wild animals suffer extreme shock after being handled therefore the chance of survival is always low. Sometimes the best way is just to leave them where they are. Nature can be a cruel thing.

They were found with about 5 dead chicks near some broken twiggy parts. 1 had a broken leg and the other just wasn't old enough to fly. We don't have a garden and the nearest place to find insects is in the woods. They could fly if they wanted to/were able to.

Alessa x.

Most reactions

Back