B&q Gravel?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Have you checked to make sure that the heater isn't plugged into the light timer? If you have the nice convenient single external plug that I have seen talked about on European made tanks, you may have something like that going on. You bring all of the tank's electric features to a single external plug then all features go off when the timer turns the lights off.

I see this time Mini Matt beat me to it.

:lol: i turned it up. And it seems to have stayed on and the tanks gradually getting warmer ( thank god )

And i decided im using sand :)

i need to get a extention cable for the lights :crazy: ( they're not plugged in yet )

hi knox.

i chose the argos play sand for my tank, which cleans amazingly fast...my bottom dwellers are 4 plecos and 3 corys ( 3 more coming soon ) and although they love it, the plecos like to dig ( in my tank anyway :p ) they also like to rocket across the tank randomly when agitated by other plecs that want there wood, cave, rock, potatoe, cucumber, filter spot etc etc.lol ....and thus my water is kinda cloudy often. when i had gravel my water was crystal clear, now its kinda sandy!, sorry for the lame joke guys.....had to be done.

if you are keeping bottom dwellers, pleases expect a degree of '' sandy '' water :good:

im going to change to black sand pretty soon because it looks fantasico! and my golden nugget pleco would hopefully feel more inclined to maybe venture out from under the bloody filter.lol all you would see of her would be tiny yellow dots and 2 eyes blinking lmao.

hi knox.

i chose the argos play sand for my tank, which cleans amazingly fast...my bottom dwellers are 4 plecos and 3 corys ( 3 more coming soon ) and although they love it, the plecos like to dig ( in my tank anyway :p ) they also like to rocket across the tank randomly when agitated by other plecs that want there wood, cave, rock, potatoe, cucumber, filter spot etc etc.lol ....and thus my water is kinda cloudy often. when i had gravel my water was crystal clear, now its kinda sandy!, sorry for the lame joke guys.....had to be done.

if you are keeping bottom dwellers, pleases expect a degree of '' sandy '' water :good:

im going to change to black sand pretty soon because it looks fantasico! and my golden nugget pleco would hopefully feel more inclined to maybe venture out from under the bloody filter.lol all you would see of her would be tiny yellow dots and 2 eyes blinking lmao.
Good Morning Mate :p.

My mom got "Pea Gravel" From the LFS. WITCH I Have seen in B&Q For cheaper. It has sharp edges witch may harm the Bottom dwellers i plan on keeping :crazy:

You do not want sharp sand in your tank Knox. The whole point to using sand or gravel for bottom dwellers is to give them something that will not erode their barbels. Some of the products used specifically for plants can be rough and I have refused to use them for that reason. A natural environment or many of our bottom dwellers is a mud bottom so even sand is a poor substitute in terms of the ease with which they can move it around. Rounded sand or gravel is far better than any sharp material and allows us to keep the tank water much clearer than using a dirt substrate. For earth eaters, geophagus, the sand is an adequate substitute that they appreciate having.

You do not want sharp sand in your tank Knox. The whole point to using sand or gravel for bottom dwellers is to give them something that will not erode their barbels. Some of the products used specifically for plants can be rough and I have refused to use them for that reason. A natural environment or many of our bottom dwellers is a mud bottom so even sand is a poor substitute in terms of the ease with which they can move it around. Rounded sand or gravel is far better than any sharp material and allows us to keep the tank water much clearer than using a dirt substrate. For earth eaters, geophagus, the sand is an adequate substitute that they appreciate having.
The gravel i brought is good for growing plants ( so the LFS guy said. Just a quick way to get money i suppose. ) And I Dont know im im keeping any bottom dwellers anymore. As im getting two blood parrots witch AQ Adivsor said fully stock the tank. (Well. Bring Aggression. )

Ask her to take it back , if i was her and was told sand was cheaper i'd get sand:)
I Even asked the LFS guy "What would you say is better. Sand or gravel"

He said
"Sand's ALOT easyer to clean"

My mom was like "Ohh Thats good"

But still brought gravel? They Also said I Would only need 5kg of gravel for my tank?
Umm Yea... that was'nt enough o i brought two bags.

My plants are growing fine in sand:)
My Vallis grows well in gravel o_O

IF i get a betta tank set up or divide my community tank into two slots. Im going to get two betta's. ( for divided )

Or. just get one betta tank for my room as i have two sockets free(heater + filter ) Betta tanks dont cost much to run and should'nt cost a fortune ( Ok only the half moon will )

I Will get sand if its a betta.

Just rob some play sand out of my nabours play pit ennit :good: Sure they wont mind ( Yea, They ow my family ALOT )

Most reactions

Back