🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Knox213

"A Coup D'tat"
Reaction score
ok so some of you know.

Im Out of funds for my fish tank

then i thought.

im sure B&Q sells gravel

So could i use it if i washed it throughly?

(I'll try lok for soft gravel as some of theres tend to be rough :crazy: )

Depends which gravel your talking about.

But I've been using the same big bag of pea gravel from B&Q in my tanks for the past 10/11 years with no issues. Just needs more rinsing than aquarium gravel.

Yup. Pea shingle works a treat. Requires a lotta cleaning tho

Depends which gravel your talking about.

But I've been using the same big bag of pea gravel from B&Q in my tanks for the past 10/11 years with no issues. Just needs more rinsing than aquarium gravel.
How Much does it cost? And does it have hard edges?? How many bags will it take to fill a rio 180? Thanks :good:

Yup. Pea shingle works a treat. Requires a lotta cleaning tho
Mmmhmm that means me in the garden cleaning ALOT of gravel then. :good:

Stick a wanted post on aquarist classified, many people have spare and may even give it away. If you were near me I've got bucketloads you could have had (I'm in Manchester though) certainly it's a way to get decent stuff cheaper.

I Already have some But i though the rio was smaller then what i thought it was :blush: So i have to get around 7 bags of gravel :crazy: and that at the LFS is indeed. A Bloody rip off.

I Might actuly post one in the wanted section.

But i believe my dads going to a hardware store tomorrow anyway.. So i'll ask him to keep a look out.

:good: Even if there is some there it proberly wont cost much?

But i'll ask around and see what i can do B-)

why not use play sand? its about £3 a bag and 1 would do that tank :)
i already added the water :blush: and i think sads hard work to use apparntly unless i can get some kind of grinded sand? if you get me? so i can still use the gravel cleaner :)Like what Minx was onabout on your thread.

Sand is easy - you just gently vac the dirt off the top holding the gravel vac about 1-2" above and making gentle circular motions.

Once a week gently 'rake' the sand so it doesn't compact too much and to release any gasses that build up.

I use black sand (paid a fortune for it lol) but have used play sand before. If you wash it first and use a jug to put it in wet it doesn't cloud the water too badly even if the tnak is full.

yeah get toys r us playsand doesn't need hardly any washing compared to argos stuff and its darker than argos stuff which is pretty much white/cream toys r us stuff has like a pink tinge to it but then my light is pinky lol think its 4-5quid for 25kg which has done my 120L my 50L and my 8L :good:

oh and any bottom dwellers will love sand! panda corys FTW! :good:

cant you get Grinded sand or somethingl iek that?

witch you can use a Vaccume cleaner to clean up?

Like what Minx was on about??

I Have a gravel cleaner witch i an use for "Marine" Tanks. Does that mean i dont have to to mess it all up? :good:

The sand I have (along with alot of other sand, some around 1mm in size) is here: http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=414_102_280

You can also get this at some LFS, alternatively you can also get small grained gravel for around £10 in LFS for a large enough bag for a rio 180.

Or, your not far from me, come buy my bag of black sand for £10 :lol: Which you can vac :good:

But frankly, any gravel or sand, washed well will be fine, if your planning on corydoras or any earth eating cichlid, geophagus or rams for example, you will need sand for them, otherwise gravel will be fine.

Wombourne, its about 8 miles from you, I was at A&D the other day, thats where I got my two new Sev's.

Wombourne, its about 8 miles from you, I was at A&D the other day, thats where I got my two new Sev's.
Not Far at all. Unforuntantly. I Dont drive :crazy: And atm i have no money.. Will see what money i can round up :good:

PS : How does it look in aquairums :p

Most reactions

Back