Azooxanthellae Corals - Gorgonian Part1

sorgan

Has found a new home
Reaction score
Righty guys so the next additon to the NPS care pack is upon us and today we will look at the Mennella gorgonian
47ab23fe.jpg

these are a truly amazing coral to keep, very varied and super colourful and IMO one of the easier NPS gorgonians to keep. they require regular feeding of zooplankton or plankton-analogues in the 5 - 800 μm size range.

if the coral is healthy it will grow up from the tips AND encrust its base, A continuous feeding system (dry or liquid) will yield the best results as the polyps should stay open almost all the time.

the coral needs high but random flow to prevent a build up of algae as this will prevent the polyps from expanding, this gorgonian also slimes up, this coating can be removed with a good shake or a bit of turkey baster action.
the mennella isnt photosenstive and will open any time of day.
as with most gorgonians it is senstive to water conditions but not so much as lets say LPS.

mennella gorgonians can be fragged but there is a particular way of doing so ( as with all gorgonians)
cut of the piece of coral you intend to be the frag, at its base strip about an inch of flesh from the gorgonians skeleton, glue the skeleton into a frag plug without covering the flesh. if the flesh is covered it will rot and die, this can kill an entire colony if not sorted out. a healthy coral will re-encrust its new base quite quickly.

You sound like a teacher mate!...............Oh Seffie will be proud! lol

WHAT! Teacher! Oh noes! I have become one of them :(

All I was trying to do was educate people and you accuse me of being a teacher!

Pfft I'm not perfect but I am certainly not one of those people......

Could I possibly be reclassified as a preacher or one of those lunatics that shouts at people as they walkpast?

There's a guy at my local shop who thinks he's ajesus.. He's there everyday and shouts at you about committing sins and how you should repent.. How about you do the same, grow a beard, put a white gown on and shout at people to join the salty side or you'll banish them for eternity!! :lol:

Sorry had to put an a before as it treats it as a swear! What a world we live in!! :D

LOL maybe I should preach about the dark side!!! The dark side of marines that is :)

Where did I put that vader mask....

Lol. That would be funny. Stand in a dark corner at your LFS and just come out of the shadows to convert!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back