azalea root aqauascape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently completed an aquascape where the hardscape was azalea root. I joined a few pieces into a large interesting shape, as I was filling up the tank I realised that I had made a rooky mistake by not boiling the wood first, what an idiot. it was ok because I managed to get the wood in time and places a few rocks on to the top to weight it down. My question is how long will it take for azalea root to become water logged and sink so I can remove the rocks.

thanks
ember04

I bought some azalea root a few months ago, it was too big to boil so I just soaked it in an old tank in the garden. It only took a few days to sink - but then it turned the water cloudy and white goo appeared all over the wood. After several weeks it was still turning the water cloudy so I gave up and bought some "mangrove" (that's what the labels said) from Maidenhead Aquatics instead.

Boiling the wood does not necessarily mean it will sink faster. Boiling the wood will kill anything and everything that is stuck in the wood and also will release a lot of harmful things that may be in the pores of the wood. But, it will also break down the wood fibers, leading to a shorter life for the wood.

It will take a couple of weeks for it to become fully waterlogged. You can try to weigh it down with a couple of rocks, so it gives the appearance of it being in its proper place.

thanks for you help everyone, I have placed a few rocks on top of the wood to hold it in places, not the nices looking but does the jobs, the store I bought it from baked the wood to kill microorganisms so I think I will be ok.
thanks again
ember04

Hope it sinks fast! I know how annoying driftwood can be sometimes. :rolleyes: ;)

hi there just wanted to let you know on the progress, it has sunk now and the cloudiness in the water has gone, there is a molt on the wood but I have srub part of it off and there is no grow back so I am happy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back