Axolotl tank plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishNturt808

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What type of plants do you guys use in your axolotl tanks? With only 5-6 inches of water I figure they gotta be something that can grow well partially out of the water. I already have a ‘lucky bamboo’, anubias, a couple small Java ferns. The frogbit I put in just can’t seem to get established, so it just has been dying off slowly, I assume it’s due to the colder water temps.

6D6A146D-932A-4876-8B38-9804DD961CA6.jpeg
(Pic added, cause why not? Look at that face)

What type of plants do you guys use in your axolotl tanks? With only 5-6 inches of water I figure they gotta be something that can grow well partially out of the water. I already have a ‘lucky bamboo’, anubias, a couple small Java ferns. The frogbit I put in just can’t seem to get established, so it just has been dying off slowly, I assume it’s due to the colder water temps.

View attachment 161733
(Pic added, cause why not? Look at that face)
Adorable little axie!

I honestly think some large anubias plants would be perfect for them. They are extremely hardy and rough for things like cichlids or axolotls

Adorable little axie!

I honestly think some large anubias plants would be perfect for them. They are extremely hardy and rough for things like cichlids or axolotls
I had 2 in. One of them died. But the other one seems to be doing good. I’m just looking at other ideas. See if I can come up with a little more variety.

Edit: 2 anubias, not axolotls. Just the one axie. And he/she has been doing great.

I had 2 in. One of them died. But the other one seems to be doing good. I’m just looking at other ideas. See if I can come up with a little more variety.
Ah ok...
Missed that in your write up, sorry... I saw everything but "anubias" 😅

Ah ok...
Missed that in your write up, sorry... I saw everything but "anubias" 😅
No worries. I’ll probably end up with another anubias anyway. Just cause options are extremely limited. If you look in the axie pic you can actually see the one that died in the background. I think I put the rhizome a bit too buried under the rocks I used to hold it down.

No worries. I’ll probably end up with another anubias anyway. Just cause options are extremely limited. If you look in the axie pic you can actually see the one that died in the background. I think I put the rhizome a bit too buried under the rocks I used to hold it down.
Ah... I would recommend using some super glue (use the gel kind if possible) to attach plants like Java ferns and anubias. Because they can't be IN the substrate. Attaching them to things like wood and river stones is the best option

Ah... I would recommend using some super glue (use the gel kind if possible) to attach plants like Java ferns and anubias. Because they can't be IN the substrate. Attaching them to things like wood and river stones is the best option
Yup, but this one I wedged underneath a low overhanging rock in some of my decor, apparently it was too much.

I have java fern at room temperature. It's in shallow water, although I try to keep it submerged.

Do you have a light on the tank?
If yes, how long is it on for each day?

Why is there only 5-6 inches of water?

-------------------
Assuming there is sufficient light, Hygrophila, Ludwigia, Bacopa species can grow in cold or warm water.

Alternantheras can grow in warm water but are marsh plants and do well with wet feet and dry leaves.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) can be planted or left to float in the tank.

Do you have a light on the tank?
If yes, how long is it on for each day?

Why is there only 5-6 inches of water?

-------------------
Assuming there is sufficient light, Hygrophila, Ludwigia, Bacopa species can grow in cold or warm water.

Alternantheras can grow in warm water but are marsh plants and do well with wet feet and dry leaves.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) can be planted or left to float in the tank.
Yeah I have a light on the tank. It’s on 12 hours, on the lowest setting to keep it dim for the axolotl. And it’s a 20 gallon long that I keep about half full. Everything I’ve read online says they prefer the shallow water over deep.

Axolotls are fine in 18 inches of water. We had them in all sizes of tanks and the smallest tank was 12 inches high and the tanks were close to full of water. Raise the water level up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back