Attempt At Breeding

Hi pinkdolphin_113 :)

How are they doing? I hope you have success with this batch. :D

thanks :D so do i lol they should be hatching either tonight or tomorrow sometime.
they there are a few rolling around at the bottom of the tank they're in (i hope thi doesnt effect them in anyway) and when they roll up to the side of the tank, i can sometimes see them formed and everything! so i think they're doing okay.

ive started to do small water changes every few hours now to dilute the methyl blue so it won't be as blue when/if they hatch.

the hatching is the easy part... its just raising them that seems to be the difficult part :/

i think its time for some pictures of what im doing lol

pink.

updating here! :shifty:

most eggs have hatched...there were one or 2 which went white (i got rid of these straight away), one that didnt quite make it out of the egg, and 2 that died once they had hatched. so :rip: to those guys.
i havent been able to count the tiny little fish yet as they are way too small and won't stop moving lol once they get a little bigger i am going to make a full count.
i shall begin feeding them tomorrow evening so their yolks sacks will be consumed and the liquifry won't not get eaten and pollute the water.
anyway, pictures;

the set-up ( you can see the glass plate i stuck the eggs to here),
3834409440a10113060259l.jpg

3834409440a10113060326l.jpg

3834409440a10113060391l.jpg

3834409440a10113060447l.jpg

i kno the heater isn't placed correctly but its to minimise water flow and i dont see a problem with it being where it is lol :shifty:

here are the newly hatched fish :D ,
3834409440a10113060513l.jpg

3834409440a10113060535l.jpg

3834409440a10113060573l.jpg

and last but not least, the parents,
3834409440a10113060497l.jpg

now they've hatched...here comes the hardest part lol

pink.

Hi pinkdolphin_113 L)

They are beautiful babies! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. :D

Be sure to get that methy blue out of the water soon.

Hi pinkdolphin_113 L)

They are beautiful babies! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. :D

Be sure to get that methy blue out of the water soon.

thanks alot inchworm! :D
they are pretty beautiful lol although they look like particles of dust with a small hair coming from them! and thats when you strain your eyes! :fun:

i am constanty doing small water changes (every hour or so) to dilute the methyl blue, yet not enough to kill the vunerable fish. i figured it cant do them any harm though right?
i also thought, due to my last batch dying of fungus, it may prevent them from developing fungus.
im doing a science course at college and have learnt that fungus LOVES to grow on organic matter, dead or alive, so a tiny amount of live organic matter, such as newly hatched fish fry, is an ideal place for fungus to thrive.
so, as the methyl blue becomes weaker, the fish's immune system strengthens (as it grows). this way, i win both ways :D :D :D
i hope my theory pays off lol

pink.

okay, so i've been swearing quite a lot since lastnight.
i used the liquifry stuff i bought for the fry...it frikking polluted the tank!!! :angry:
there are no words to describe what i want to say to the company that made that crap!
i have done about 8-10 small water changes a day since i placed the eggs in there. all of a sudden, they hatch and after 2 days i begin feeding them with that poison. i may have well have not bothered picking the eggs up!
why make a "food" thats just gonna pollute water?? i dont get it.
even though i continued doing the 8-10 water changes, the water went cloudy. so i did a nitrite test, and because of my blue water, esitmated that if it was gonna be healthy water, it'd turn green as it did a few days before. it turned frikkin purple!! which means, if the water was clear, it would have gone red.

i think next time i am going to make my own micro worm culture.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

pink.

i used the liquifry stuff i bought for the fry...it frikking polluted the tank!!! :angry:
pink.
Sorry to hear about that. Liquifry is one of the worst products on the market. The next worse choice for feeding fry is egg-yolk. You are much better of just squeezing a mature sponge filter to obtain a first food for your fry. Mother nature generally has the best answer to a fish keeper's particular problem.

Some will disagree, but as they say - different strokes for different folks. - Frank

I must agree with Coryologist on this food source. Infusoria that live on an old sponge make a great first food for the smallest of fry.
I also keep microworm and Walter worm cultures but they are not nearly as small as the infusoria.

I agree too. Liquifry is good in a pinch, but using filter gook is better. The newly hatched fry grow quickly during their early days and soon outgrow the need for tiny food. I then use microworms to feed them until they are big enough to eat flake, Hikari wafers, and then finely shaved bloodworms. Egg yolks are a horror when it comes to cleaning up. I tried that once when I first started raising corys and it was a disaster.

thats great! thanks. i have read posts about infusoria but never knew what it was. now i kno, its DEFINATLY what im going to be using. this won't pollute the tank either will it due to the matter already being in the tank.

thanks so much! i'm planning on sorting the polluted tank out, cycling it again and then triggering the corys to spawn again. hopefully, there will be more eggs this time if both females spawn.

once again, thanks alot!

pink.

why won't they breed!??!
they're so active at the moment and im SO tempted to do a water change with cold water! :shout:
i did a 20% change lastnight and put some cold RO water as well as cleaning the filter. i thought this'd work but noooooooooooooooo, they just start going insane, swimming up and down the glass!
i was thinking this may be the corys looking for "the perfect place" but they've already spawned several times in this tank! and the c.schwartzi are going crazy too.
they do seem to be going to the usual corner where i usually find the majority of the eggs. i never see what they're doing before they lay the eggs so i dont know how they should behave if they're gonna lay, and i can't find anything on the internet about them swimming around like this before spawning.

what do i do?? lol

pink.

Please try to have a little patience with them. You can't hurry Mother Nature.

Sometimes it just takes a few days. Or, they might just need a rest. Continue to feed them well and they will probably spawn when they are ready. :D

Please try to have a little patience with them. You can't hurry Mother Nature.

Sometimes it just takes a few days. Or, they might just need a rest. Continue to feed them well and they will probably spawn when they are ready. :D

Easier said than done lol when you have the devil screaming in your ear day in day out about a fish tank that is running without fish in it (refering to my mum and the breeding tank here :shifty: ) using up electricity. its outrageous, yet hilarious, that she claims a 25W heater, 4W filter and 25W light (which is on 8 hours a day) is using over £3 a DAY on electricity.
back to topic, i am going to have to give it time as no matter what i do, it doesn't trigger them to spawn...then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, i have eggs! whats with that?? sods law lol

pink.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
ive waited and they've left eggs...two fo them...all i can say is lol :X

never mind, better than nothing i suppose...maybe more tomorrow is what im thinking!

pink.

Most reactions

Back