Attempt At Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
okay, so, the first time my corys spawned, i thought it was due to me using RO water. I was unable to do water changes for a few weeks because someone tried stabbing me with a glass bottle (lol) on a night out which i had managed to stop by sacraficing a huge part of my skin on my hand :angry:
but then, when the wound had healed, i thought i'd attempt to lower my pH so... in goes the first 20% of RO water. this stuff was cold, and very soft... below neutral im sure!
anyway, the next day, there were eggs everywhere and there were still lots being laid! unfortunatly, i had a pair of kribs and they were following the corys everytime an egg was laid. i found 4 behind my heater but lost one to fungus. the 3 remaining eggs hatched but got eaten through the breeding net = [
so, after doing a few water changes to get the pH back up to 8(ish), i haven't done a water change for the past 3 weeks. i let the water go horrible and stale so when i did a water change, the corys would love the nice soft, fresh water. this was again RO water and was very cold. i thought they're gonna be spawning again and i have got rid of my kribs so there won't be any problems.
THEY HAVEN'T SPAWNED!!!!!

lol does anyone know why my corys have lost their mojo?
and are there any special measures i could go to?

thanks,
pink

for 1 pinkdolphin_113
you need to keep your water in good condition so your corys are in good condition.
3 weeks is a long time with out a water change at a minimum 1 water change a week ov 30-50% will keep them in good health
the cold water will stimulate them to spawn but they need conditioning for a few weeks first to get in top shape :good:

i appreciate your concern but i would never put my fish in the way of danger.
there was no build up of anything in the tank and the fish are looking perfectly healthy. i increased the oxygen levels in my water to cope with the biochemical oxygen demand as i knew the bacteria colony would grow a lot because of the lack of removal of the waste when you do water changes.
the RO water i put in the tank was very cold. the overall temperature in the tank dropped by about 5[sup]o[/sup]C. is this not enough or will i have to go colder?

I've never had to drop the temperature for my Corys to spawn - just had my fourth lot of eggs in four months. Just feed them well, go back to weekly water changes and they'll spawn when they want to. It WILL happen.

have 2 agree with v man even tho i do think the water changes help mine never needed them 2 spawn they would spawn when they want 2 as they still do now when i do a water change purposely 2 try get them 2 spawn its just normal dechlol tap water and after adding my temp usually drops 6-10 degrees depending how big the water change is as drewry says tho water conditions really need 2 be keep at tip top conditions other wise the corys wont think its suitibale conditions to spawn and as he says try condition them for a week or so first on live foods ive found bloodworm is always best but others do and will work. try doing a smaller water change for a 3-4 day period dropping temp a few degrees each time while still conditioning them may help and it has worked for me in the past :) good luck m8 and hope u get some eggs soon :)

jen

right, i tried the 20% water change with RO water... nothing happened.
i tried a 50% water with tap water... nothing happened.
both attempts dropped the temperature but still no activity in the slightest.
i feel after some good fatting up (lol) i may try a 50% water change with RO water.

i feed the fish frozen bloodworm and daphnia as well as bloodworm pellets.
i dont know where i could get live food from around here :no:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!! i got me some more eggs :hyper: well, they're babies now... or ITS a baby lol only one survived :sad:
i missed the whole show (AGAIN!!) but managed to find 3 eggs. one went white, so removed it. one hatched WAY too early for some reason, that died. and now, i have one baby little c.sterbai swimming around on his lonesome.

question... when do i start feeding the little thing?
its been about 5 days since it hatched and the yolk sack seems to have been completely absorbed.
also... what the heck do i feed something so small??

:fun:

thanks

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!! i got me some more eggs :hyper: well, they're babies now... or ITS a baby lol only one survived :sad:
i missed the whole show (AGAIN!!) but managed to find 3 eggs. one went white, so removed it. one hatched WAY too early for some reason, that died. and now, i have one baby little c.sterbai swimming around on his lonesome.

question... when do i start feeding the little thing?
its been about 5 days since it hatched and the yolk sack seems to have been completely absorbed.
also... what the heck do i feed something so small??

:fun:

thanks

hi m8 congrats :) know uve been waiting for them 2 spawn again ..... i feed mine from around 48 hours some do it a little l8r as for food i feed mine microworm, BBS and decap brine shrimp and they seem 2 grow quite quick when there alittle older i feed very finely crushed up tetra prima in between the other food mentioned :)

hope that helps m8 :)

jen

I don't think that you said it was Sterbai you wre trying to spawn.They prefer higher temperatures than most other cories.

he did in a previous post tho when his sterbai did actually spawn hence y i know it origially was sterbai :p

good luck with the 1 baby tho pink :) im sure they will continue spawning from now on for you :)

haha the temperature of my tank is at a constant 25oC so all is fine :nod:
yera have been waiting for these little things to spawn again lol i feel so annoyed that i missed it! but to be fair, i did try pretty much everything and nothing worked. then i left them to it and they spawned!! lol but im just glad that i know they are still breeding and producing healthy fry.
the first time they spawned was on the 12th of September. They spawned 5 days ago so that means, theoretically, they should spawn again in 90 days... 90 DAYS?!?! :fun: that should be the 11th of March(ish) lol i'll be waiting :shifty: and i'll be ready! mwahahahaa!

I bought some (interpet) liquifry today for the baby fish. I figured i wont use much this time round so i should have some left for next time round.

im pretty happy with the baby fish, even if there is just the one... its still something i will have raised :rolleyes:

get hold of some microworm culture m8 by far the best thing ive used 2 rear fry and they love it :) have 2 agree m8 doesnt matter wheather its 1 baby or 3000 babies if u rear then ur self its always an achievment :) so congrats m8ee and good luck with the next spawn 2 :)

jen

I HAVE MORE EGGS!!!

its unbeleiveable and so unexpected. i think i may have cracked it though.
does anyone else, other than me, beleive that cleaning the filter may enduce cories to spawn?

i cleaned the filter and within a few hours of the detritus clearing up from floating around the tank, the cories were spawning.

unfortunatly, i had drunk a large amout of alcohol when i noticed they were laying eggs so i just dived straight in and began plucking them out of the tank and into the breeding net. now i have no idea how many i have lol i will attempt to count the transparent eggs on a white back ground once i can focus again (i currently have a virus so being alive atm isnt very enjoyable lol)

now i have (still) one baby cory which seems to be pretty helathy, and a load of eggs :hyper:
IM SO HAPPY!! its currently day 2 since i found the eggs so, 2-3 more days and i should be even more happy lol

I HAVE MORE EGGS!!!

its unbeleiveable and so unexpected. i think i may have cracked it though.
does anyone else, other than me, beleive that cleaning the filter may enduce cories to spawn?

i cleaned the filter and within a few hours of the detritus clearing up from floating around the tank, the cories were spawning.

unfortunatly, i had drunk a large amout of alcohol when i noticed they were laying eggs so i just dived straight in and began plucking them out of the tank and into the breeding net. now i have no idea how many i have lol i will attempt to count the transparent eggs on a white back ground once i can focus again (i currently have a virus so being alive atm isnt very enjoyable lol)

now i have (still) one baby cory which seems to be pretty helathy, and a load of eggs :hyper:
IM SO HAPPY!! its currently day 2 since i found the eggs so, 2-3 more days and i should be even more happy lol

congrats once again m8 ..... u will probably find it was the water that was changed that started them spawning ive notice that even the slightest of water temp drop can have this affect but saying that ive had spawns without even doing water changes nor cleaning filters so i think its just the tank conditions and weather there happy and urs seems 2 be so congrats again :) and good luck with the eggs

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back