Artists?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, in a forum full of aquarists with attention to detail, surely some of the people here are artists. I'll start. I'm a kid who happens to like a challenge and because of this, I tried pixel art. It's actually quite hard on low scales, as it takes quite a lot to make a low res image look good. However, I think I've got it.

Here are some of mine:
You'll notice that most of these are in the Terraria(a video game) pixel art style.

Attachments

• SpiritModLobsterCLawExport4.gif
    SpiritModLobsterCLawExport4.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 109
  • SpikeBallRespriteEXP2.png
    SpikeBallRespriteEXP2.png
    762 bytes · Views: 55
  • RiftStoneElementalFINAL.png
    RiftStoneElementalFINAL.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Kingdok * 10 Final.png
    Kingdok * 10 Final.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 21.24.20.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 21.24.20.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 61
I'm just wondering, in a forum full of aquarists with attention to detail, surely some of the people here are artists. I'll start. I'm a kid who happens to like a challenge and because of this, I tried pixel art. It's actually quite hard on low scales, as it takes quite a lot to make a low res image look good. However, I think I've got it.

Here are some of mine:
You'll notice that most of these are in the Terraria(a video game) pixel art style.
Wooowwwwwwww those are so good!!! I paint and sketch and do needle crafts like knitting! I will upload some photos when I can find them…

work in progress. Hey if anybody has ideas for ocean-related weapons or items for a video game and their functions just tell me here thanks. I'm kinda out of ideas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 00.03.33.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 00.03.33.png
    2 KB · Views: 58
@Bruce Leyland-Jones - They are awesome, I really love them. I've tried getting into watercolours a few times but I'm not that great (think 5 year old fingerpainting and then make it twice as bad).

It's actually quite hard on low scales, as it takes quite a lot to make a low res image look good
Done a little pixel art myself. It's one of them things that looks super simple, until you actually try it. It takes a lot of skill to make some that looks good and these are all great. Good job, keep it up!
I'm a bowyer
Awesome. I love archery but haven't done that much of it. I have a (ever growing) project list and a making my own bow has been on that list for awhile. Hopefully next spring when the weather is nice enough to work outside I can finally get round to it.

I definitely wouldn't call myself an artist but I dabble in a bunch of different crafts. Sorry for the image dump but here are a few photos that I have on my phone of things I have made.

Bit of drawing:​
20200417_225445.jpg
20200712_205420.jpg

Some Blacksmithing and Metal work. The axe was for my Nephews 30th.
The knives were because I wanted to try wood carving and needed some tools. The bracelet is made from copper.​
20210804_201913.jpg
20200627_204851.jpg
20200623_195031.jpg
20201208_181948.jpg

Couple of whittling bits I did for my daughter before painting.​
20200712_205332.jpg
20210724_022239.jpg

Bit of a mix of 3D modelling, 3D printing, normal modelling and model painting. The house is from a game called Slime Rancher that my daughter loves. I 3D modeled it and printed on my FDM printer as part of the slime rancher playset I made her. The cars are converted toy cars for a tabletop game called Gaslands.​
20210127_164446.jpg
20201030_010105.jpg

@Bruce Leyland-Jones - They are awesome, I really love them. I've tried getting into watercolours a few times but I'm not that great (think 5 year old fingerpainting and then make it twice as bad).
Thank you.
You've clearly got an artistic bent yourself...perhaps you could try a watercolour nightclass? Whilst I possess some innate talent, I really enjoyed what I picked up from attending one of these myself.

Some Blacksmithing and Metal work. The axe was for my Nephews 30th.
The knives were because I wanted to try wood carving and needed some tools. The bracelet is made from copper.​
View attachment 149250View attachment 149251 View attachment 149252View attachment 149253

Ah, blacksmithing would be fun. What do you use for raw materials? I know a few guys that make beautiful knives from old files, farriers rasps, and such. And I have a friend her who makes real (folded) damascus steel blades. It's a fascinating art. That axe is really nice, and the knives look elegant and functional.

If you ever get around to making a bow, let me know and I'll tell you what I know. It'll take about 30 seconds. :lol: 🏹

Ah, blacksmithing would be fun. What do you use for raw materials?
Depends a lot on what I'm making, whats its going to be used for and if its for me or someone else. (Long babble below about materials, feel free to skip :) ).

The knives for example were from an old saw blade. I hadn't done any wood carving before and was not 100% sure one what would work and what wouldn't so the scrap steel was fine to mess about with. Fortunately it turned out that this particular saw blade was a pretty decent steel (a lot of newer ones are mild steel with hardened teeth which is no good for knives) and the knives are pretty functional and hold a good edge.

Generally I like to recycle steel so spring steel (suspension from cars/trucks) and tool steel (old saw blades, files, etc) are my go to for steels that needs a high carbon content. If I'm making something for someone else though I tend to use 80CV2 because its pretty tough, really easy to heat treat and I can trust that it shouldn't have any microfractures or issues that recycled steel might have.

For decorative stuff I use whatever I have to hand. I made a steel rose for my partner on our 11th anniversary and that was made entirely from metal I pulled off an old fridge.

For copper stuff I use a lot of copper pipe because it is cheap and easy to get . I also use a lot of old 1 and 2 pence coins (technically bronze I think but close enough). They good for small decorative bits like earrings and literally worth pennies so I don't feel bad about wasting a load trying out new things. Coins after 1991 though are now copper coated steel (which is still useful for some things).

I know a few guys that make beautiful knives from old files, farriers rasps, and such. And I have a friend her who makes real (folded) damascus steel blades
Yeah I really enjoy making knives and tools, still very much a beginner though. Haven't attempted damascus yet. I got a new propane forge for my 40th back in July but haven't had chance to fire it up. Having a go at damascus is on my list of things to try when I do though.
If you ever get around to making a bow, let me know and I'll tell you what I know. It'll take about 30 seconds.
Thanks I might hold you to that :) Not planning to do anything fancy or high power. Just a simple board bow with cotton backing most likely.

Thank you.
You've clearly got an artistic bent yourself...perhaps you could try a watercolour nightclass? Whilst I possess some innate talent, I really enjoyed what I picked up from attending one of these myself.
Thanks. Yeah I would love to, just serious lack of time, money and energy at the moment though. Most of my arts and craft stuff is self taught but having someone that knows what they are doing explaining things to you makes things so much easier.

Most reactions

trending

Back