ARRRGGGHHHH Disgusting Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NeilP

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Went to my kids playschool today for their Christmas Sing along - Ahhhhhh

THey have a small tank about 5 gallons (UK) max i would estimate, and they have 3 goldfish in it quite happily swimming about (although one i reAAlly constipated! - must be the longest poo i have ever seen! :kira: )

BUT - the inside of the tank cant have been cleaned ..... ever!

Knowing the playschool they will claim not have the time to clean the tank, or it isn't in their job description etc etc :lol:

Any ideas on what other fish i may be able to buy for them to put in there to help keep the algae down?

The tank is not heated, not filtered, has gravel, a few shells and an ornament and one plant not planted!!

Should the tank be filtered?

Please don't say - you could volunteer to clean it - as i defeinately don't have the time to do another tank somewhere else! :hyper:

Thanks

Neil.

For goldfish? Almost any filter is inadequate. They are the filthiest fish ever. (that's fact, not a derogatory opinion) They need a filter, and there is probably too much ammonia in there w/o an algae eater. They should get other fish and return the goldfish. It's cruel to keep them under such conditions. (I would know, I have three in a ten gallon w/ other fish, and the tank is filthy and diseased)

OK, so Goldfish still need filtration - no probs, I'll keep an eye out for a 2nd hand filter, or look down my lfs see how cheap a smaller filter is.

Freshwater alage eaters - any ideas.

I read somewhere that Snails eat the algae - Golden Apple Snails look nice (thinking of the kids) would they do a good enough job?

I suppose also (thinking as i go along) that if the tank has enough plants, won't they 'starve' the algae of the things they need to grow?

I've read that if algae problems are too great, no amount of algae eaters will work. I suggets getting one if you really deem it necessary (an otocinlus), but an algae scrubber would be far better...

Yes. Plants are a marvelous idea, though they still won't be that helpful. It's still a wonderful idea. Also, lower the intensity and the duration of the lights and tell them to feed less! Get them goldfish food so they only have to feed them once a day. Tell them that it's a little every minute for 5 minutes so it doens't all sink to the bottom.

If you add a snail, snail reproduction may be a worse problem than the algae...

A 10 gallon tank is really only big enough for 1 goldfish and that is with a filter, a 5 gallon is a no no as they grow quite big and are very messy, I am surprised they have lasted, the alge wont hurt the fish and it is probebly the only thing that is filtering the tank as such, so helping to keep the fish alive because it is a form of plant life, how big are the fish and do you know how long they have had them? tempestuousfury is right about the snails, you can get alge eaters but the tank is already overcrowded, If they can clean the alge away they really do need a filter a strong filter if they plan on keeping 3 goldfish in such a small tank.

That's true... I should've asked you how big the fish were. :*) (I'm so stupid :D )

By the way, do they have a siphon? That'd really help if they never clean it.

If the tank stays the way it is, I suggest telling them to get hamsters. Just a suggestion... (Though if they treat the rodents the same way, they too might die)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said to my wife that perhaps they should get a hamster - apparantly they had one before the goldfish - but they just disappeared! :rolleyes:

The fish ( i only saw them for 5 minutes this morning) i think are about 1.5 - 2 inches long. They are 'plain' looking goldfish, not really gold in colour - nothing like the Orandas - Shubunkin perhaps.

It looks as though a good tank clean, new filteration system (fluval 104?) more plants and tell them about feeding the fish (I'll try and teach my 2 yr old - she likes to know everything and do everything her way - so it will be right up her street! :lol: )

I'll check the light situation - i can't remember whether they had lights in it or not 0 if they do, I'll get them a timer for it.

I'll scrub the idea of an algae eater as the tank is already overstocked and write a letter to the committee making sure the get someone to keep the tank clean.

Save that - I'll picket the playschool with placards saying ' Save the Fish' 'Stop this Cruelty!' :kira:

Water Changes - oh my........ what sort of water changes do you need to do with goldfish - are the water parameters the same as for tropical?

You could just buy them a goldfish book :D and hope for the best, good luck and keep us informed as to how you get on.

Will the teacher have time? (I take it the teacher is your wife? Speed reading, so I can't be sure...) I know the kids won't. :D

My wife isn't a teacher there - our 2yr old daughter is there two mornings a week at the moment.

I'm off to the lfs tomorrow to get the kit (see if i can blag some freebies as it's for the kids school!).

Thanks for your help - I'll try and get some before and after photos!! :p

By the way shubunkins are normally white with blue, red and black markings. :)

I'd love to see how the tank looks. I've never seen a tank that's overgrown w/ algae, so it'd be my first time. :D

I would have to question the schools overall clenliness. If they cant take a little time to clean a small tank whos to say they are keeping the rest of the facility clean as it should be.

No one seems to be mentioning that all Goldfish (even the feeder variety) grow over a foot long. even if you had the filtration, they still wouldn't phyicaly fit in anythin less than a 30 gallon.
tell them to take back the goldies, buy a filter, and heater and replace them with a few platys/guppys. as for the algea, get a bristle nosed ancistrus.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back