Are those maple tree branches?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi, I went today on a branch hunt :nod:
Found some beech branches and what I think are, maple branches, but I would need someone experienced than I am to confirm this.

To prepare them, I will soak the big branches and the small ones will be boiled.
For how long would I need to soak them? A month? Two months?

Here they are:

image.jpg

Are they 100% dry, inside and out? If not they wont be aquarium safe

They might be maple, but I'm agreeing with juicebox on this one.

The branches look too "new." Good branches to hunt for in the woods are ones that have mostly all bark removed already.

Branches taken off the tree or ones that have recently fallen will have sap in them and that wouldn't be aquarium safe.

I've done this once, and I want to say it took nearly a month for the branches to become water logged.

I don't know about others, but I would never be able to tell the wood species without the leaves.

I concur with above posts. Dead dry branches (just like leaves) are safe so far as that goes. I would not boil them, as this breaks the wood fibers and they will soften and rot faster. Branches tend to not last long as it is. When I collected oak branches from my back yard, I left them out for several months (making sure they were "dead" dry), then I put them out in a good rain to rinse off the dust (in the sink under the tap they easily get broken). Then use them in the aquarium. They will obviously float until waterlogged.

I don't know about others, but I would never be able to tell the wood species without the leaves.

I concur with above posts. Dead dry branches (just like leaves) are safe so far as that goes. I would not boil them, as this breaks the wood fibers and they will soften and rot faster. Branches tend to not last long as it is. When I collected oak branches from my back yard, I left them out for several months (making sure they were "dead" dry), then I put them out in a good rain to rinse off the dust (in the sink under the tap they easily get broken). Then use them in the aquarium. They will obviously float until waterlogged.
For how many months? 7 months?
And how do I know if they do or don't have sap in them?

They would need to dry for years if they are fresh. Try to find dry ones already and the let them dry for another 3 months

They would need to dry for years if they are fresh. Try to find dry ones already and the let them dry for another 3 months
This is what I found and will do the scratch test and see whether they are dead or, if dead, I'll leave them for those 3 months and then will soak them.

I only collect branches that have been separated fro the tree, which means, lying on the ground. Break an inch or two off of the thickest end; if is snaps easily it is dry, but if it is still "green" it will bend but not snap. The scraping of bark is another test, but obviously only for the outer layer.

When a branch is separated from the tree, it begins to dry out. The drier the location where it falls, the sooner the sap/moisture will dehydrate out. I tend to bring the branches I collect from the ground inside for severalmonths, I think it was over a year, but that was not so much to "dry" it as to keep it for when I moved and wanted to use them in the tanks. The snap test is pretty reliable.

I only collect branches that have been separated fro the tree, which means, lying on the ground. Break an inch or two off of the thickest end; if is snaps easily it is dry, but if it is still "green" it will bend but not snap. The scraping of bark is another test, but obviously only for the outer layer.

When a branch is separated from the tree, it begins to dry out. The drier the location where it falls, the sooner the sap/moisture will dehydrate out. I tend to bring the branches I collect from the ground inside for severalmonths, I think it was over a year, but that was not so much to "dry" it as to keep it for when I moved and wanted to use them in the tanks. The snap test is pretty reliable.
The branches I collected were separated from the tree already and I will do the test today and will soak them if they don't have the green stuff.
For how long should I soak them?

The branches I collected were separated from the tree already and I will do the test today and will soak them if they don't have the green stuff.
For how long should I soak them?

The soaking is only to water log them so they will not float, though they may still float more than sink, but water logged they are much easier to get down where you want them. I usually stick the thickest end under a chunk of wood or rock so the branch is then up in the water column.

The soaking is only to water log them so they will not float, though they may still float more than sink, but water logged they are much easier to get down where you want them. I usually stick the thickest end under a chunk of wood or rock so the branch is then up in the water column.
I meant how am I supposed to make the aquarium (shrimp and fish) safe.
Should I wash them in tap water or just put them in the tank or something else?

I meant how am I supposed to make the aquarium (shrimp and fish) safe.
Should I wash them in tap water or just put them in the tank or something else?

I think I earlier mentoned that I leave mine out in a rain storm. Rinsing delicate branches under the tap usually ends up breaking them to pieces. If you can't have rain, use a hose and spray them well. It is only dirt/dust you need to clean off, though even that won't hurt. However, make sure there are no bird droppings, this can be dangerous.

I think I earlier mentoned that I leave mine out in a rain storm. Rinsing delicate branches under the tap usually ends up breaking them to pieces. If you can't have rain, use a hose and spray them well. It is only dirt/dust you need to clean off, though even that won't hurt. However, make sure there are no bird droppings, this can be dangerous.
Oh ok! Sorry! :blush: I think I have something to spray on or pour water on with. When I'll dod this, do I put them in the tank next or..?

Oh ok! Sorry! :blush: I think I have something to spray on or pour water on with. When I'll dod this, do I put them in the tank next or..?

Yes, if you are satisifed they are externally clean, put them in the tank. If these are hardwood (maple was mentioned) there should be no problems.

Most reactions

Back