New 10 gallon - choice between betta, guppies, neos, potentially dwarf gourami?

corneliusmom

Reaction score
Hey there! So I am now addicted to the hobby and will be getting a new 10 gal. I am considering ONE of the species above and would love your input. The most important consideration: I am moving overseas in 8 months, and am planning on bringing my betta with me on the plane in large water bottle (think Nalgene). I'd have to set up new tanks once I get there with my established sponge filters (which I will also be packing in a water bottle). I get attached to my pets so I'd want to do the same for whomever inhabits that second tank. As such, I need a decently hardy fish, which I know bettas are (well, at least mine is), but not sure about guppies, gourami, and even less so about Neos. A few more considerations:

- I am not sure if the dwarf gourami will be happy in a 10 gal; opinions seem pretty split. Some say it's more than enough for 1 male, others say they prefer more swimming room. This is the one I am most unsure about. I like my pets having room to thrive so I can easily pass on this option.

- I love bettas and already have one in a 10 gal; my introduction to the hobby, so I was hoping to branch out to a different species (been eyeing guppies for some time). However I found a listing on Marketplace for a beautiful cellophane betta it's owner wants to rehome for free and I'm torn.

- As I mentioned before, I want to take my pets when I move, and not sure if guppies are hardy enough. I am also hesitant to put them in the same container; would I have to split them up? That might be a bit much for me to take in my carry-on. Another issue with guppies is how divided opinions are regarding keeping a small group of males in a 10 gallon; everyone on r/aquariums say it's fine, but many on this forum say this will lead to fighting and the amount of guppies I'd need to spread aggression would require more than a 10 gal.

- I was set on shrimp until I gave more thought to travel arrangements. I know they're very sensitive to water parameters, and the nice folks at r/shrimptank told me I'd be better off rehoming them before I leave. I fear I might get too attached though, and in any case I'd want to rehome them with a friend or someone else I trust, but I can't think of anyone who would take them. If anyone has experience travelling with shrimp (a small group, since I'd only get females), I would welcome your input.

Please let me know what you think of this and help me make my decision!

Hey!

As long as your water parameters are good I think a betta would be the best. I've moved a couple of times with bettas and they are hardy little fish. I would wait till you are settled, like you said, you don't want to get too attached to them if they might not do well and perish. I think the betta is the best option :)

Hey!

As long as your water parameters are good I think a betta would be the best. I've moved a couple of times with bettas and they are hardy little fish. I would wait till you are settled, like you said, you don't want to get too attached to them if they might not do well and perish. I think the betta is the best option :)
I do love bettas

In my opinion I think it would be better to hold off getting more fish until you've moved, 8 months isn't a long time to wait really. I'd be so upset if I lost fish I'd just bought travelling hours on a plane...

@GaryE what do you think about the water bottle plan? Would it stand against cabin pressure etc? You've travelled with a few fish in tow, any tips?

In my opinion I think it would be better to hold off getting more fish until you've moved, 8 months isn't a long time to wait really. I'd be so upset if I lost fish I'd just bought travelling hours on a plane...

@GaryE what do you think about the water bottle plan? Would it stand against cabin pressure etc? You've travelled with a few fish in tow, any tips?
Yes, I realized that. I'm just a softie and found a listing from a betta who's been injured in his community tank and the owner is desperate to rehome him. I feel like at least with me he'd be safe. That is another consideration for travel; I can put each the betta in a bottle by himself, but idk how 5 male guppies would do. I am not as familiar with them. I might have to put them in separate containers which would definitely be too much.

I looked it up and Canada has very similar carry-on restrictions as the US. I'd worry about getting through security with the fish, since they'll want you to pour the water out of the bottle. The only way I could see it working is if you bring a tiny little bottle of dechlorinator, rush through security with the empty water bottle, and fill it back up at a bottle-filling station ASAP. All of that would be very stressful on a fish.

Unless you plan on putting the bottle in checked luggage. In which case, good luck... The cargo hold isn't pressurized and therefore also isn't heated. Things get really, really cold down there...

I looked it up and Canada has very similar carry-on restrictions as the US. I'd worry about getting through security with the fish, since they'll want you to pour the water out of the bottle. The only way I could see it working is if you bring a tiny little bottle of dechlorinator, rush through security with the empty water bottle, and fill it back up at a bottle-filling station ASAP. All of that would be very stressful on a fish.

Unless you plan on putting the bottle in checked luggage. In which case, good luck... The cargo hold isn't pressurized and therefore also isn't heated. Things get really, really cold down there...
Usually border control has exceptions to water volume for things like medication, baby bottles and pet fish. I looked up requirements for Canada and I would just need to fill a form and get it approved. But regardless since I am moving out of Canada, I think it is up to UK jurisdiction. This link (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-...t live fish and shellfish,ornamental purposes)
says 'ornamental fish' are allowed, I just need a health certificate.
Also, TSA, which is usually the strictest regulatory agency, states 'Live fish in water and a clear transparent container are allowed after inspection by the TSA officer' (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security...live-fish#:~:text=Live fish in water and,page)

If you only have 8 months to go before moving...

Wait... It will give you time to elaborate how you want to build your setups and relieve you from all the hassle of moving them.

You will have a lot more to think, than you think... And moving to another country with a fish bowl on the lap. Can become really problematic, if any kind of emergency situation would arise.

Knowing how my betta character is... ☠️ He wouldn't find that funny at all. Dwarf gourami will probably have an heart attack before your plane's landing. And depending on the number, the shrimps would need a larger thermal container, But they are the ones that are the most suited to survive, Well packed shrimps will last 7-10 days. Lookup how to move / ship live shrimps.

Most reactions

Back