Setup, Biotopes and Conservation

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When someone wrote to me about their decision, they chose the 130 litre tank for the kubotai rasboras, now I have decided to do a 130 litre tank with these fish. It will include gravel, a small amount of sand, rocks and fallen leaves and branches to give that river look. It's based on an area of the Songgaria River in Western Thailand with little vegetation. The tank will be 90 cm long by 42 cm in height and 36 cm by diameter. It's an Aqua One Horizon 130 tank, to be exact. I have done my research weeks ago and I'm ready to do this.

Kubotai rasboras are great nano fish for small aquariums, but we don't need a 10 gallon because it's too small for a large school of 8 to 10. The tank is 34 gallons and it's big enough for a large shoal. Kubotais are relatively rare in the hobby, but common in the wild. At least 12 to 20 of these rasboras will be enough for the setup, as the bigger the shoal, the more natural and colourful they are. These fish need a large, spacious biotope aquarium instead of a small planted tank to really thrive. Many people think that these fish thrive in planted tanks, but they do a good job of doing that. Planted tanks are man-made habitats for these fish.

The closer the depiction of natural habitat is, the more natural the biotope is. Biotopes can help fish species bounce back from extinctions and hobbyists. Endangered fish such as the eyespot rasbora and the emerald dwarf danio can be helped by remaking their natural habitat and breeding. Zoos and aquaria don't own these rare fish because they don't feel like it. If a zoo or aquarium would have kept it, it will help save the species from extinction. Only a few aquariums has ever kept freshwater fish, such as the elephantnose fish and African butterflyfish. Hobbyists are trying to conserve rare fish to safeguard their populations by breeding them and making a bold statement of conservation by remaking these habitats for fish such as rare tetras, danios and other small fish.

The biotopes will help the fish be healthier and happier in this setup. It's also an important educational tool for schoolkids who want to know about ecosystems and how they work. For example, a large Lake Inle setup with emerald dwarf danios can help schoolchildren learn about this area and the threats involved with it. The water is clear with a fertile substrate and shallow. It can be made with a riparian setup because the water is very shallow for the fish.

The biotope is a popular aquarium setup for experienced aquarists who have kept rare fish before. If we don't make the biotopes, we will never learn. Happy fishkeeping!

Most reactions

Back