Lake Inle biotope, Mamberamo River biotope or Suriya/Hanthayaw River biotope?

elephantnose333426 4

Fish Addict
Joined
May 9, 2023
Messages
982
Reaction score
707
Points
93
Location
Perth, Australia
I am deciding between three of my favourite biotope aquaria that I have researched for my Aqua One Horizon 130 project, the Lake Inle biotope from Myanmar featuring the endangered celestial pearl danios and Sawbwa barbs as both are endemic to the Lake, the Mamberamo River biotope for the endemic dwarf rainbowfish and the Suriya/Hanthayaw River biotope in Myanmar and Thailand with a large and natural school of Kubota's rasboras. I was originally going to do a South-east Asian community aquarium, but I changed my mind after I learned about biotopes and the fish that live there. I have always wanted these biotopes for a long time. Which one will you pick for me?
 
If you have hard water go for lake inle or the rainbow fish if you have softwater do the other one.

Wills
 
Of the places you mentioned, I’ve been to Lake Inle, back in 2017. It’s a massive lake with reed and water hyacinth in shallow areas. A few photos which may give you some ideas of Inle biotope.
 

Attachments

  • _Inle1.webp
    _Inle1.webp
    142.3 KB · Views: 123
  • _Inle2.webp
    _Inle2.webp
    328.5 KB · Views: 126
  • _Inle4.webp
    _Inle4.webp
    227.9 KB · Views: 182
If you have hard water go for lake inle or the rainbow fish if you have softwater do the other one.

Wills
I like the idea of the Lake Inle biotope, but I wanted the Kubota's rasbora biotope. This is a tricky decision to make. I'll take my time and some research on each of them, then I'll make the final decision for the 130 litre project.
 
Of the places you mentioned, I’ve been to Lake Inle, back in 2017. It’s a massive lake with reed and water hyacinth in shallow areas. A few photos which may give you some ideas of Inle biotope.
Wow wow wow that’s amazing! I don’t want to hijack this thread but would love to know more!
 
Wow wow wow that’s amazing! I don’t want to hijack this thread but would love to know more!
I visited Lake Inle as part of the trip to Myanmar during the time when the country was open to the world, not specifically for the biotope, as I only returned to fishkeeping early last year.

The lake is on UNESCO list, so it was worth a visit. The motorised boats leave town early the morning taking visitors to the villages on the lake. Also of interest were the fishermen who would stand up on their boats to look for fish (water is only a few metres deep), and use one leg to slowly row their boats. The vegetation in the 2nd photo is a floating vegetable garden, I can imagine the little fish living there rather than in the open water.
 

Attachments

  • _fisherman.webp
    _fisherman.webp
    143.4 KB · Views: 122
  • _village.webp
    _village.webp
    253.7 KB · Views: 123
My water is hard in my state. Why is your water too soft?
He just doesn't have alk the minerals in there to make it hard... My water is soft. Not all water is the same
 
If you have hard water go for lake inle or the rainbow fish if you have softwater do the other one.

Wills
I have decided after doing some research: (drumroll) 🥁 The Lake Inle biotope will be part of the Aqua one Horizon 130 project! Unfortunately, Kubota's rasboras have to go as they require softwater for their natural habitat... :confused:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top