Are These Two Different Strains Of Angelfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LunaBug

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So at the LFS back in early February, I bought these two angelfish. When I got them home I noticed that one had a slightly different dorsal shape than the other but didn't think much of it. Now the difference is much more noticeable and the one has grown much faster than the other. Is it possible that these are two different types of angels?
  Bling.jpgBruno.jpg

They're different color and fin types..though I couldn't tell you what ones :lol: Sorry.

I can try to guess..I think the first might be smokey and something else? And the second a marble? :c The first also looks like a widefin.

Hopefully someone more experienced can tell you :p I've embarrassed myself enough~

They're both very pretty btw!

Look like two color strains of veil tail.
First is a half black. Possibly platinum. I have one that is a half black/ golden.
Second is a marbled.
As to the wide dorsal, my zebra has the same thing.

Angel strains can be a bit of a nightmare. You have the 3 main "types" being: Ptersophyllum scalare P. Alrum and P. leopoldi. the most common which has different colouration/markings etc is the scalare, but your little one might have leopoldi along the lines somewhere making it slightly smaller. The markings are what give some angels their names, platinum, half smoky (which your one on the left is, going from memory, I maybe wrong) and marble on the right. Breeding over time and mixing the 3 main "wilds" has given rise to many many different types of angels. it is much more in depth, but I am no angel expert.

They're not veil tails, I can tell you that; the fins aren't nearly long enough.

Nice looking fish, though!

The larger one was actually the smaller of the two when I bought them. Depending on the day it can look anywhere from a smokey golden to a platinum and black (Hence me referring to it as Bling). The smaller striped marble one is Bruno. I just want to make sure I don't have some mutant fish or anything.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back