Are Swortails And Black Mollies Friendly Fish?

Bambi211

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Nottingham
Hey need some advice on which fish get on with which? Thinking of getting....

Swordtails, black mollies and plattys.

But Do they get on with fish like corys, Siamese fighters, Neon tetras?

xxx
 
Hey need some advice on which fish get on with which? Thinking of getting....

Swordtails, black mollies and plattys.

But Do they get on with fish like corys, Siamese fighters, Neon tetras?

xxx

should be fine not sure about the fighters tho

swords,mollies and platties are all livebearers i can feed mine out of my hand. I have bronze and albino corys with mine and thay dont bother anyone as well as tetras and rasboras

edit. when you say "Siamese fighters" i assume you mean just 1 as 2 males will kill each other males and females should only be together for breeding iirc unless its a sorority of females
 
Hey need some advice on which fish get on with which? Thinking of getting....

Swordtails, black mollies and plattys.

But Do they get on with fish like corys, Siamese fighters, Neon tetras?

xxx

should be fine not sure about the fighters tho

swords,mollies and platties are all livebearers i can feed mine out of my hand. I have bronze and albino corys with mine and thay dont bother anyone as well as tetras and rasboras

edit. when you say "Siamese fighters" i assume you mean just 1 as 2 males will kill each other males and females should only be together for breeding iirc unless its a sorority of females


Ahhh thats good news. I think that will be a nice group of fish tbh. Whats a rasboras??

Yeah I mean just one.
Oh really? So if i got a male and female siamese fighters then he wud probs over harass her?
 
Male Betta's will kill the female if left int he same tank with her. He would chase her until she either jumps out and just die's of stress. He will also nip her fins ect.
The betta should be fine with what you are planning on putting in the tank. I personally belive that Betta's are only aggressive to their own species ( thats what i have experienced). What size tank is this?
 
Excellent advice thank you everyone.

My tank is 60 litres. So not that big really...

How many fish would u say i could have in it?
 
Well, it depends. What is your exact stocking atm?

1 Neon Tetra (I know there suppose to be in a group but had a crisis where they all died a while back)
1 Guppy(But thats going in my dads tank tomoro cos its to aggresive so thst doesnt really count)
and one female and male swordtail.

x
 
Okay, so that is about 16 Gallons. I would recommend buying more tetra's. Probably 6 more. After that, get another Female swordtail. The male's ( just like all other male livebearers) are known to stress out the female's, and can cause death. After that, i would recomend putting in 6 corries for the bottom part of the tank. Thats is though, as this stocking is already pushing it. Your tank is quite small, making your stocking choices hard.
 
I think black mollies and plattys need salt added to their water
 
saly isnt required but it helps mollies from getting sick. Without salk they are prone to illness. Mine has been fine without brackish water but someday I plan to move her into a tank with some bumblebee goby sometime.

As for the personality of Mollies every one is differnt. Mine is evil and chases all the fish around the tank but then again I should place her in a bigger tank sometime soon.
 
Salt isnt needed. It will help them, but wont kill them if they dont have it. It is good for gill function ect. but isnt good if you have tetra' s and cory's. I wouldnt put it in. I have had mollies with and without salt and they do fine either way.
 
Since you already have swordtails, I would avoid putting any platies in that tank. Platies and swordtails are both xiphophorus which can and will cross breed. My own feeling is that once you fill out the tetra group and get at least another female swordtail, you will not have much room in that tank for platies or mollies. Some mollies can be a bit aggressive, it depends on the individual's personality. None of those fish should be a problem with a betta.

EDit: spelling
 
My male molly only chases my other smaller male molly. Apart from that they are not aggresive to any other fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top